Sunday, August 22, 2021

The Amish Baby Finds A Home

Title: The Amish Baby Finds a Home

Series: Hearts of Lancaster County #2

Author: Barbara Cameron

Publisher: Forever

Genre: Amish, Christian Fiction, Romance

My Review:

While this is the second book in the Hearts of Lancaster County series, it can be read as a stand-alone novel. I would recommend going back and reading the first book, The Amish Midwife's Hope, before beginning this one. I did not read the first book and feel that I would have enjoyed this story, even more, had I read it first. 

I love reading Amish fiction, especially those with a different storyline, and this one definitely checked that box! I loved that Gideon is a toymaker, despite the fact it is not a "typical" Amish job, nor do Amish children have fancy toys. His relationship with Hannah is authentic and real and even when there are disagreements, they manage to work them out in healthy ways.

While the baby is left in Gideon's shop is an original idea, it also stirred things up and kept the story going. This was a very quick read and one I did not want to put down. It's a story of loss, redemption, hope, and happy endings. I was drawn to this story by the lovely cover and I have a special place for stories that involve babies :) The title eventually makes sense, but it was not how I thought the story would go. Kudos to the author for a well-developed, great story!

It had been a while since I had read anything by Barbara Cameron, but this book reminded me why I do read her books! She is a solid writer and one that I need to make more time to catch up on the books that I have not read, including the first in this series. Fans of Amish fiction will enjoy this story. Fans of Shelley Shephard Gray, Amy Clipston, Kathleen Fuller, and Patricia Johns would also enjoy this book.

Thank you to Net Galley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book. I was not required to provide a favorable review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

★★★★/5

Synopsis (from Goodreads):

In this heartwarming Amish romance, an Amish toymaker and his sweetheart discover the greatest gifts come in the smallest packages.

Between his busy toy shop and the farm he owns with his twin brother, Gideon Troyer’s life is full. Now, the handsome Amish woodworker is ready to share it with someone special, someone like Hannah Stoltzfus, the lovely quilt shop owner a few doors down. Their friendship has already grown into something deeper. But before Gideon can tell Hannah how he really feels, she makes an unexpected discovery in his shop: a baby . . . one who shares an unmistakable Troyer family resemblance.

Hannah has never forgotten the kindness and support Gideon offered when she first opened her shop. So she’s happy to help him care for the sweet abandoned boppli until they find his family. But as they untangle the mystery surrounding the child, Hannah wonders at Gideon’s hesitation to take their relationship to the next level. He’s a natural with the baby, and Hannah can see Gideon’s ready for a familye of his own . . . but can she help him believe it?


4 comments:

  1. Lovely review Cindy. It's strange that some series are easy to read out of order and some really have to be read in order. Thanks for pointing out this one should be read from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, thanks for your support Wendy! I really appreciate it :)

      Delete
  2. Good to know to read The Amish Midwife's Hope first! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure. I don't feel like I missed that much, but probably some spoilers if I go back and read the first one.

      Delete