Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Top Ten Tuesday-Free Little Library

Happy Tuesday, friends! Today's theme is a freebie prompt so I am cheating a bit. I am doing a bookish project, if you will, and I want to tell my reader friends about it and thank those who helped trigger this idea. To find out what our other bookish friends are doing for Top Ten Tuesday check out That Artsy Reader Girl.

I am excited to tell you of a new bookish project I am working on...I am setting up a Free Little Library in my neighborhood (in my yard!) and I could NOT be more excited about it. I want it built like yesterday so I could already be stocking it with books...unfortunately, it is a process and it takes time and I need to be patient!

So, where did this idea come from?

Back in October one of the Top Tuesday Prompts was to share Bookish resources and someone mentioned the free little library (I can't remember who!). So, this idea has been peculating in my head since then. I finally talked to Matt (my husband) about it this week and he was on board. Then, I posted on my neighborhood webpage to see what the response would be there...it was positive which made my day!

Why do I want to do it?

I love ALL bookish things, I love reading, and I want to give back. I have been blessed with quite a few advanced reader copies of books this year, some I want to keep, and some I don't. I also have won quite a few book giveaways this year, more than at any other time in my life! (which isn't saying that much since I rarely win anything, LOL). I didn't know what to do with the ones that I didn't want after I read them. I thought about doing giveaways, but then I would have to pay postage, which could get expensive. It's not right to sell them (most companies don't want you to), but I wanted to do something! The more I thought about it the more I really wanted to do the free little library. However, I was worried about the response, from my husband and family, and from our neighbors. I finally decided to go for it because I do want to do it. It is a tangible way that I can love my neighbors, share my love of reading, and hopefully promote a love of literacy in our community. I LOVE our physical library and in no way want to take from that, but sometimes we want to own our books, especially children, so we can read them over and over again. 

Although this is my brainchild (thanks to the anonymous person who planted the idea) it is not something I can do on my own. I will need donations of books and hopefully, once the word gets out and the library is up and running, it will kind of keep itself going, as the idea is to take a book, bring a book. People are under no obligation to follow that, and it will be harder at first, but I am hoping that once the idea catches on, it will be a positive experience in our community. I have already had neighbors say they will be donating books and I am SO thankful. I have reached out to a few other people who and some comments have been positive and others have been more lukewarm. That is okay, I have enough excitement for everybody! 

How is the process going?

I have already ordered the official charter sign that will be on the Free Little Library. Once it gets here I can then add the library to the world map so that others can find the library. My husband was going to build it, and still might, but I am meeting with a local Artisan today to see if he might be able to do it, so we can promote his local business. We were going to try and get the materials donated but it wouldn't be right to ask him as he is trying to get his business off the ground. I am looking for sponsors but have struck out so far.  Hopefully, the only costs will be the sign, the stamps, and stickers for the books (all donated books will be stamped with a stamp that says Always a gift, never for sale so that the books cannot be taken and sold elsewhere), and the materials for the actual library, assuming the materials are not donated. I have already ordered the stamp and stickers. We could have bought a kit through the free little library website, but the library is too small for our way of thinking 😂😂😂 I have also set up a Facebook page so that there is a central place for all updates and to help spread the word in the community. I said I would not buy any books for the library but would rely on donations...unreasonable expectation, yes, especially at the beginning (since people don't know me and don't always trust what they can't see). I bought books at our local library yesterday and you can see that post here on the Facebook page 😲 I might need an intervention 😂😂😂! Also, the pictures in this post are a few of the books I bought at the library.

How can you help?

I would love it if you could support me in this endeavor. Share the Facebook page (especially if you are in Union County, NC or surrounding counties), consider being active upon occasion on the page, liking and commenting on stuff, if you are close by and your shelves are overflowing with books you are never going to read again, consider donating them to me, pray that all goes smoothly and that this will be the blessing to our community that I hope it will be. If you are further away and want to send a book or two, we will not turn you down (looking for books for ALL reading interests, not just my own, LOL). If you are an author and would like to get a book into our community, this is a great way to do it, or if you just want to send bookmarks or something similar to get your name out there. If you would like to help with the stamping/sticking of books, be an admin for the Facebook page to help moderate comments, or if you are closer, stop in and organize the little library upon occasion! It will take a village and you are part of mine! Thank you for any help that you can give 😀 I would like to thank two authors, Julie Gilbert and Bethany Turner, for reaching out to me and offering to send a few of their books. Thank you ladies, you have blessed me and will be a blessing for my community.

I know several who interact on Top Ten Tuesday have started Free Little Library's and I welcome tips/tricks, encouragement or anything else you would like to share or think I need to know! I really want it to be successful, not for me, but for my community.

What did you do for this week? Have you read any of these books? To see what other topics our bookish friends are doing this week click on the image below. 


 

55 comments:

  1. I've always wanted a LFL in my yard. At the moment, I live in a gated community with strict HOA rules. However, we are planning to move this summer and I'm hoping I'll be able to have one in my new community (I have a love/hate relationship with HOAs). We'll see. Good luck with yours!

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I totally understand. We have love/hate relationships with HOA's too. Our HOA does nothing which is why I should be able to get away with this. Their has been on on-going legal battle for many years, so no one is enforcing any rules/and we aren't paying dues. Regardless, it will be able to be moved if/when we move. I am super excited about this!

      Delete
  2. We love the Free Little Libraries! Alas, we only have one in our neighborhood. But I'm been meaning to weed through some book shelves lately... hmmm. Great project and a great reminder. Thanks for sharing.

    My post:
    https://pagesandpaws.com/2021/12/07/ttt-10-tastes-of-the-season/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristine, we don't have any in our neighborhood and only 2 in our zip code. I visited one of them and was disappointed and haven't yet made it to the other one. I am super excited about this and it is already bringing me great joy!

      Delete
  3. Yes, I've had a Little Free Library since 2012, and it is one of the joys of my life. Here's my original post about it: https://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2012/11/little-library-2924-in-alvin-texas-is.html.

    Feel free to email me if I can help you in any way! debnance at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, THANK YOU for sharing! I am SUPER excited about it and it is already bringing me joy! I would love to chat with you and will email you with Free Little Library in the title. Thank you for being a steward of your library!

      Delete
  4. This is such an amazing idea! I honestly didn't know this was something you could organise yourself (I guess I just figured that the city arranged it all), but I'll need to look into this. Hope you'll have a great time with your project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsey, I didn't either! Be sure and check out their website littlefreelibrary dot org
      I am already enjoying myself...looks like the physical library won't be finished until January, in the meantime I will continue to gather books and promote the website :)

      Delete
  5. I want to have a LFL in front of my house, but I'm kinda worried people would just end up taking stuff ... but then, I'm not sure I'd mind that anyway since I also always end up with lots of books I don't want to keep in the long run and struggling to find places to give them away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kind of the point, take a book, leave a book. But, I agree. I decided to buy a stamp and stamp each book (inside front cover) that says "Always a gift, never for sale). I was worried people would take the new books and try to sell them. I have no problem with people reading them, and either finding a home on their shelf, or another free library, but hopefully not for sale. For kids board books I bought stickers to put on the back. You should consider doing it :) I think it is going to bring me great joy.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Leah, I thought so too, which is why I jumped at the chance :)

      Delete
  7. That's so exciting! Good luck with your Little Free Library. Be sure to post lots of pics of it when you get it done. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, I will! I have a page on the blog too where I will post updates :) The Artisan is supposed to have a quote for me tomorrow or Thursday. The only downside is I wanted it done this month but it won't be done until mid-late January. Which is probably better and gives me time to get past the holidays and be better prepared!

      Delete
  8. Your post makes me want to create a Little Library, too. Though here in the NW one has to be very clever to keep the rain and wet from creeping and wrecking the books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, the materials are made of a composite (if you buy from their site) that is supposed to be waterproof! I have seen some creative ideas too, that make it harder for the rain to get in. I am excited :)

      Delete
  9. What a fantastic idea! Once I have print copies of my own book, I hope to sprinkle it around to the Little Free Libraries in my neighborhood. I'd be happy to donate a copy for yours, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danielle, that would be awesome. It looks like I will have it up and running by mid-late January...depending on what the Artisan says when he gets back to me tomorrow or Thursday. I think it is awesome that you will take them around your neighborhood too :) I feel like it is blessing me to be able to provide this service and hopefully it will bless you too, helping you to get your book further.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Cindy! I'll send you a note to get your address once I have a paperback. I hope your Little Free Library is a blessing to many! They always make me smile every time I see one so I'm happy I can participate anyway I can. :)

      Delete
  10. This is such a lovely idea--best of luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH, this is sooooo FUN! Thanks for sharing! It will be exciting to hear how it's going throughout the year! I'm happy to hear you're doing this for your community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am excited too! I couldn't talk about it the first few days without smiling!

      Delete
  12. I REALLY want to put a Little Free Library up at my house - I could certainly fill it. One of these days I'll convince my husband it's a good idea. :-)

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Start researching it and showing him all the fun designs that you can build ;) My husband saw it as an extension to what I already do: read/review and blog about books, now I can also encourage and promote reading to others!! My son doesn't want it because he doesn't want people coming to our house, but they won't be at our house, they will be at the street. He might come around.

      Delete
  13. We have one of these in my neighborhood. It's a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deanna, that's great! We don't have one near us and there are so many neighborhoods and schools around us, I think it will benefit the community. Or, at least I hope it will!

      Delete
  14. I think it's so neat you are doing this. Looking forward to updates too hopefully as it progresses. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg, I won't be able to keep my mouth shut! LOL! I will be singing it from the rooftops. Looks like it will be up and running by mid-late January.

      Delete
  15. What a great idea. That is amazing. Good luck with this project.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea. Not sure if it will work where I live but would love this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine that's a risk anywhere! I am willing to try, though :)

      Delete
  17. I have heard about Free Little Library but I've never seen one in person. I like the idea of passing books along so other people can read them too, especially those who cannot afford books or those who can't get to a library. I hope everything goes well with this project.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lissa, thanks, I am excited about it. You can look on their website littlefreelibrary dot org to see if there is one near you. It would be fun to go and visit it :)

      Delete
  18. I have a Little Free Library in my yard. I've had it for about a year and half. I LOVE it! Each neighbor is unique. I wanted my library to be full of YA, but it turns out that my biggest audiences are picture books and middle grade. The YA go quickly as well, but I mostly get moms and their kids, or just kids riding their bikes around. I love that I'm putting books into the hands of kids. I usually don't have a problem with donations, but now and again I will go to my local thrift store to stock up. Good luck with your library. I hope it is a huge success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you have one too!! I don't mind stocking up occasionally, it will be trial and error for a while, figuring out what people do want. I also love that their are kids getting books in your neighborhood!

      Delete
  19. What a great project you have started! I'll be following your progress with interest!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great idea! I hope everything goes well with the project. 😊

    https://christianbookshelfreviews.blogspot.com/2021/12/books-i-wish-i-could-read-again-for.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Best of luck with your Free Little Library! I hope it's a success for you.

    Pam @ Read! Bake! Create!
    https://readbakecreate.com/holiday-books-that-dont-mention-the-holidays-in-their-title/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, I hope it is a success for my community.

      Delete
  22. I love the idea of a free little library and have often thought whether I should start one. But there are several "book cupboards" (as we call it) in our town and I don't really live in a highly frequented street. Still, maybe this will be a great idea in future somewhere.

    I wish you all the success you deserve. And thanks for doing this, I'm sure many will benefit.

    Thanks for visiting my TTT which is about German books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marianne, it is worth looking into. You can place the location on a world map which increases visibility. I will do that once mine is up and running. They have them in many countries, which I think is so cool!

      Delete
    2. That might be an idea. I'll look into it. Thanks.

      Delete
  23. I love free little libraries, there isn't one near me at all, but I love how it makes books accessible for so many people. I live in a condo, but I totally would if I was allowed.
    Marie @ Pages to Explore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, I totally understand. I went and visited one that was about 20 minutes from my house today. I didn't find anything that I wanted to read, but it was super cute.

      Delete
  24. Such a great idea. We just got a Little Free Library in my neighborhood and I love stopping by every few days when I'm out walking my dog to see what's new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's awesome!!! I love that they keep popping up in places! So fun.

      Delete
  25. This sounds SO fun. I am always wondering about places to leave books or donate them. I live in the country so this wouldn't be a project I'd bother with but good for you. Best of luck. :) Thanks so much for visiting Finding Wonderland on this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rissi, you might have some in your county or somewhere close, might be worth looking into. I am going to do everything I can to get the word out, hoping it will be successful.

      Delete