Monday, January 24, 2022

Another Gospel?

Title: Another Gospel? A Lifelong Christian Seeks Truth in Response to Progressive Christianity

Author: Alisa Childers

Publisher: Tyndale

Genre: Christian Nonfiction, Religion, Theology

Source: Library

My Review:

Alisa Childers is a wife, mom, blogger, author, and was a member of the band ZOEgirl. I read this book because Sarah Geringer put it on her best Christian books she read in 2021 list. It sounded interesting, so I thought, "why not?"

Before I read this book I had probably heard of progressive Christianity but I would not have been able to tell you exactly what it was. After having read Another Gospel? I have a better understanding of how to explain it and can see with absolute certainty that I have seen it in practice.

What on earth would cause a strong and devout Christian to doubt her faith?

Alisa Childers found herself in a class with a progressive pastor who challenged everything she knew to be true about Christianity. This led her on a deeper search of Christian history.

Likewise, as I navigated through my faith crisis, I realized that it's not enough to simply know the facts anymore...we have to learn how to think them through-to access information and come to reasonable conclusions after engaging religious ideas logically and intellectually.

What I love most about Another Gospel? is you don't have to take Childers's word for it. She has done all the research for you and has included her resources in a Bibliography at the end of the book. Her delivery is factual and informative. She does not knock down certain people or denominations, or other religions. She simply presents her story and what she learned. 

Another Gospel? was an eye-opening book for me and I am glad I took the time to read it. It is one that Christians should take the time to read. I better understand progressive Christianity and think this is a very relevant book. I would recommend it to anyone interested in learning more about how progressive Christianity differs from Christianity (and make no mistake, it does). I would also recommend it to those who are interested in Theology and the early Church fathers. 

★★★⭑/5

Synopsis (from Goodreads):

 A Movement Seeks to Redefine Christianity. Some Think that It Is a Much-Needed Progressive Reformation. Others Believe that It Is an Attack on Historic Christianity.
Alisa Childers never thought she would question her Christian faith. She was raised in a Christian home, where she had seen her mom and dad feed the hungry, clothe the homeless, and love the outcast. She had witnessed God at work and then had dedicated her own life to leading worship, as part of the popular Christian band ZOEgirl. All that was deeply challenged when she met a progressive pastor, who called himself a hopeful agnostic.

Another Gospel? describes the intellectual journey Alisa took over several years as she wrestled with a series of questions that struck at the core of the Christian faith. After everything she had ever believed about God, Jesus, and the Bible had been picked apart, she found herself at the brink of despair . . . until God rescued her, helping her to rebuild her faith, one solid brick at a time.

In a culture of endless questions, you need solid answers. If you or someone you love has encountered the ideas of progressive Christianity and aren't sure how to respond, Alisa's journey will show you how to determine--and rest in--what's unmistakably true.

6 comments:

  1. I think we will be seeing more and more progressive Christianity. This sounds like an important book. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gretchen, I believe you are right. It was a timely read book.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a very interesting book, I'm so glad you liked it Cindy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book too! Like you, I had heard of Progressive Christianity but I didn't really know what it was so this book was really helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it Lesley :) Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete