Friday, April 15, 2022

First Line Friday #46-Forbidden Truth

Happy Friday, my bookish friends! Any plans for the weekend? My daughter is home for the weekend and we are going to her grandparents house tonight and if the weather permits spend some time on the lake tomorrow! Have a great Easter weekend!

Welcome back to First Line Friday hosted by Carrie at Reading is My SuperPower!! I am also linking up with Gilion on Rose City Reader for Book Beginnings. This is where you share the beginning of the book that you are reading. To join in the fun grab the book you are reading and leave a comment with the first line (or your link).  This week I am reading Forbidden Truth by Debra Torres. It is the second book in her Willow Brook: Secrets of the Pen series.
  
The computer screen in front of me blurred and I couldn't keep my mind from wandering back to Bishop Amos.

Book Beginnings:

The computer screen in front of me blurred and I couldn't keep my mind from wandering back to Bishop Amos. Cold, icy rain slapped hard on the steel roof of the Mountain Laurel Star newspaper and splattered against the office windows. I thought of the Bishop wandering off into the woods the day the train killed his horse and turned his buggy into smithereens.

About the book: (from Goodreads): 

What happens when living the dream means losing yourself?

Johanna Yoder can breathe again. Willow Brook’s once tyrannical Bishop Zook has been replaced by Gott’s true elect, Gideon Hochstetler. And the new bishop can’t help but show some special leniency towards the aspiring Amish writer.

Working at the Mountain Laurel Star newspaper while remaining Amish is a dream come true for Johanna. And, as her love for the Englischer reporter, Judah Barton, steadily increases, so does a niggling suspicion that her former bishop rots in jail for a crime he didn’t commit. Judah joins Johanna in her convictions, and together they seek to uncover the truth to what really happened that dark night over forty years ago when three men were killed.

But in the middle of searching for answers, Johanna finds herself struggling with a crushing crisis that comes from living a double life. Who is she, really? Does Johanna have it in her to embrace what she needs most as she desperately fights for justice for a man who once wished her dead?
  

Your turn! Grab the current book you are reading and post the first line in the comments! Then, click on the icons below and join the fun there too! Thank you all for coming by each week, I REALLY appreciate the support and comments 😀

 

10 comments:

  1. I like the idea that she's a journalist and there is a mystery she's working on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Anne, I would recommend the first book before this one!

      Delete
  3. This sounds good. I'll have to check out the first book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first line comes from Shadows in a Mind’s Eye by Janyre Tromp:
    Darkness had long ago swallowed the greyhound bus moving down the road so slow that it might as wrll have been going backwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting first lines, hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  5. This sounds really good! Hope you enjoy it! Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete