Sunday, May 1, 2022

A Match of Wits

Title: A Match of Wits (audio)

Series: Ladies of Distinction #4

Author: Jen Turano

Narrator: Justine Eyre

Genre: Historical Fiction, Christian Fiction, Humor, Romance

Publisher: Bethany House/Audible Audio

Source: Hoopla/Library

My Review:

I love Justine Eyre she is a wonderful narrator!  

While I was excited to finally get to Zayne and Agatha's story...I was sorely disappointed.

Here's why:

Zayne is an idiot. 

And completely clueless.

He is not in the other books, but he is in this one. He got on my nerves.

And, Agatha.

I also liked her in the other books but not quite as much here. She took unnecessary risks, let Zayne stomp all over her heart, and not tell him about it (which felt out of character). And her love for the pig? Just no. I know the pig is supposed to be humorous, but it wasn't to me. It doesn't act like a pig at all. It acts like another animal, and if you are curious, you'll have to read it to find out. Her "my darlings" and "princess" when speaking of the pig also got on my nerves, especially since she was afraid of it when she first met it.

I have loved Piper in the other books. In this one, she is eight going on thirty. She should not be reading romance novels, nor should she be the one giving Zayne romance advice.

The humor I love from Turano's books fell flat in this one. I will still read her other books because I know she is a fabulous and talented author. These last two of this series were a struggle for me, but I am glad to see the stories wrapped up. 

★★⋆/5

Synopsis (from Goodreads): 

After his departure from New York two years ago to meet up with his almost-fiancee, Zayne Beckett is the last person Agatha Watson wanted to stumble upon in her travels as a reporter with the New York Tribune. Quite pathetically bedraggled, he clearly needs to be taken in hand and sent back East to his family. Although she no longer has feelings for him, Agatha realizes--by hook or by crook--she'll have to be the one to get the obstinate man home.

Zayne has no desire to be taken anywhere and is prepared to drag his heels all the way home . . . until he finds himself slipping back into the familiar banter of his former friendship with Agatha. Once they arrive in New York, Zayne realizes Agatha's determined nose for news has earned her a few enemies, and he hopes to repay her help with some help of his own. When she rebuffs all his attempts to prove himself a knight in shining armor, the lengths to which they'll go to win this battle of wills lead to some memorable antics.

Everyone else may think them a match, but nothing could be further from the truth--until Agatha finds herself in real trouble. Have these two stubborn, too-smart-for-their-own-good people been meant for each other all along?

 

2 comments:

  1. Nice honest review. You do have some good reasons for not loving this one.

    ReplyDelete