Friday, May 6, 2022

First Line Friday #49-The Lost Book of Eleanor Dare

Happy Friday, my bookish friends! Any plans for the weekend? My son is performing in a music concert Saturday morning (as long as it does not rain) and my in-laws will come over for lunch. If it rains it turns into a new plans day with the whole family home since both kiddos (my daughter got back from college Monday evening) had taken off for the concert. Other than church we have no plans for Sunday. Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there!

Welcome back to First Line Friday hosted by Carrie at Reading is My SuperPower!! I am also linking up with Gilion on Rose City Reader for Book Beginnings. This is where you share the beginning of the book that you are reading. To join in the fun grab the book you are reading and leave a comment with the first line (or your link).  This week I am reading The Lost Book of Eleanor Dare by Kimberly Brock.

The summer I turned thirteen, my mother took me into the forest to work a charm that was my right from birth.  

Book Beginnings:

Prologue

The summer I turned thirteen, my mother took me into the forest to work a charm that was my right from birth. They say what happened there might have killed me. I think I might have killed her instead.

About the book (Goodreads):

The fate of the world is often driven by the curiosity of a girl.

What happened to the Lost Colony of Roanoke remains a mystery, but the women who descended from Eleanor Dare have long known that the truth lies in what she left behind: a message carved onto a large stone and the contents of her treasured commonplace book. Brought from England on Eleanor’s fateful voyage to the New World, her book was passed down through the fifteen generations of daughters who followed as they came of age. Thirteen-year-old Alice had been next in line to receive it, but her mother’s tragic death fractured the unbroken legacy and the Dare Stone and the shadowy history recorded in the book faded into memory. Or so Alice hoped.

In the waning days of World War II, Alice is a young widow and a mother herself when she is unexpectedly presented with her birthright: the deed to Evertell, her abandoned family home and the history she thought forgotten. Determined to sell the property and step into a future free of the past, Alice returns to Savannah with her own thirteen-year-old daughter, Penn, in tow. But when Penn’s curiosity over the lineage she never knew begins to unveil secrets from beneath every stone and bone and shell of the old house and Eleanor’s book is finally found, Alice is forced to reckon with the sacrifices made for love and the realities of their true inheritance as daughters of Eleanor Dare.

In this sweeping tale from award-winning author Kimberly Brock, the answers to a real-life mystery may be found in the pages of a story that was always waiting to be written.

 Your turn! Grab the current book you are reading and post the first line in the comments! Then, click on the icons below and join the fun there too! Thank you all for coming by each week, I REALLY appreciate the support and comments 😀

 

24 comments:

  1. What a mysterious first line. It really grabbed me. I also love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kami, I am reading it from Net Galley :)

      Delete
  2. This does sound good. I hope you enjoy it, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. That book beginning is riveting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harvee, it really sucks you in, doesn't it?

      Delete
  4. It's that connection to the Lost Colony of Roanoke that makes me want to read this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this book on my TBR and I kind of forgot about it, thanks for the reminder, Cindy. It still sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Friday!
    I'm currently finishing up Let It Be Me by Becky Wade. I LOVE it!!!
    "Concentration proved impossible after Sebastian's phone call."
    I hope you have a delightful weekend. Happy reading! 😀❤📚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good, Nicole. Have a good weekend!

      Delete
  7. That's such an intriguing beginning! Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That seems like a great read! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That book about Eleanor Dare sounds very interesting!
    From When the Day Comes by Gabrielle Meyer:
    For as long as I could remember, my mama had told me that my life was a gift. But at the age of nineteen, I had yet to see how this life I was living – or rather, the lives I was living – could be anything other than a burden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks like an interesting read. I love the cover!

    I'm just starting Wildfire Threat by Cathy McDavid: "Aden Whitley stepped out of his truck and into a cloud of smoke thick and heavy enough to fell a man twice his size."

    Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great descriptive opening, Danielle! I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete