Friday, June 3, 2022

First Line Friday #52- New Wine Transportation Company

Happy Friday, my bookish friends! Any plans for the weekend? Today is my husband's birthday and we are supposed to be headed to his parents lake house this evening. Tomorrow our youth will join us for a day on the lake. I am going to the doctor this morning and that will finalize my plans for the weekend 🙄

Welcome back to First Line Friday hosted by Carrie at Reading is My SuperPower!! I am also linking up with Gilion on Rose City Reader for Book Beginnings. This is where you share the beginning of the book that you are reading. To join in the fun grab the book you are reading and leave a comment with the first line (or your link).  This week I am reading New Wine Transporation Company: A Springville Story by Heather Norman Smith.

Another grand opening-this one not so grand. At least not to some folks in Springville.

Book Beginnings:

Another grand opening-this one not so grand. At least not to some folks in Springville. 

Pastor Daniel Whitefield sighed and folded the Monday edition of the tri-weekly Springville Chronicle, then placed it on the table with the corner tucked under the edge of his half-eaten plate of biscuits and gravy. Mumblings of the big news filtered through the greasy air of the diner. Chatter of various volumes, accompanied by clanging and clapping of silverware against plates and cups meeting tables, crossed the long room in all directions, bounced off the walls, and came to rest in his ears all at once with a heaviness. A tizzy. That’s what his mother used to call it. People were all worked up and in a tizzy of one kind or another.

About the book (Goodreads):

 Can a holy mission change Springville for the better?

Springville Community Christian Church is nestled in the foothills of North Carolina in a quiet, Mayberry-esque community. But when a ruthless businessman from out of town sets his sights on quaint downtown Springville as the perfect location to open a bar, the town's calm is disturbed and the church's pastor is pulled into the chaos.
Pastor Daniel Whitefield seeks only to do the will of God. Nothing more, nothing less. When he's pressured to join the Springville League of Churches-a coalition in protest of the bar-he resists, causing tension with friends and congregants. Daniel further risks his credibility by organizing a taxi service for the bar s customers, as a way to witness of God's love to them.

The seven members of New Wine Transportation Company are excited to minister in their community, despite the naysayers, but as damaging rumors about the pastor and his wife spread, Daniel begins to question the project. Is it worth the risks involved? And can they really make a difference by giving folks a ride home after a night out drinking? Maybe there's more at stake than they know.

Your turn! Grab the current book you are reading and post the first line in the comments! Then, click on the icons below and join the fun there too! Thank you all for coming by each week, I REALLY appreciate the support and comments 😀

 

16 comments:

  1. This sounds really good. I always enjoy reading about Mayberry-esque settings. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so good! Might have to add it to my list. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, Kym, hope you enjoy it! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. My first lines today are from Midnight’s Budding Morrow by Carolyn Miller
    Yorkshire 1811
    “Oh, Sarah, please. please? What would it take for you to reconsider?”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, I finished that one yesterday and enjoyed it! I hope you do as well!

      Delete
  4. boy, your message about seeing the doctor sounds pretty ominous. Are you unwell? I hope it is nothing that will keep you from the fun weekend. My quotes from The Island of Sea Women are here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Anne, I have another viral infection, I was supposed to spend this evening and tomorrow at the lake, but I am contagious, so I am home.

      Delete
  5. Happy Friday!
    I'm currently reading Turn to Me by Becky Wade. It's outstanding!
    "Immediately after Finley woke from her coma, Luke had promised her that she'd be ok. It was proving harder to convince himself of that."
    I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to your husband! Another quiet weekend ahead for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, I am sick again so it has turned into a quiet weekend for me as well. Lots of reading and blogging are on my agenda.

      Delete
  7. The title and cover makes me think of a magazine! Premise does sound good though.

    Hope you are having a good weekend Cindy!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mareli! I hope you have a great weekend!

      Delete