Monday, July 11, 2022

The Heart of the Mountains

Title: The Heart of the Mountains

Series: My Heart Belongs in the Blue Ridge #2

Author: Pepper Basham

Genre: Historical Fiction, Christian Fiction, Romance

Publisher: Barbour Publishing

Source: Net Galley

Challenge: Virtual TBR

My review:

I love Pepper Basham's books. She is one of those authors that writes across multiple genres and does it well.

The Heart of the Mountains is the second book in the series.  I would recommend reading the first book, Laurel's Dream, first. Although it could be read as a standalone, you would miss the connections from the first book. Laurel's Dream is mainly about Laurel and Jonathon. This book is about Jeb (Laurel's brother) and Cora (Jonathon's sister).

The Heart of the Mountains is a beautiful story of finding purpose, healing, and accepting people's differences.  It is also filled with memorable characters, superstitions, and faith. It had a slow start and is more description driven than I would normally like, but it worked.

Nothing could be as bad as a lifelong commitment to that think-headed withered-hearted pansy of a man.

The humor I consider a trade-make in Basham's books was more subtle than usual. I loved Cora and Jeb, and I enjoyed them together. The war has left its mark on them, as it would anyone, and I appreciated the way in which this was handled.

As the story closed, I still had a few questions.  The main story line does come to a wonderful conclusion. Yet I wonder if there will be a third book to tie up a few loose ends from both books. It's not necessary, as we don't always get all the answers, but I would love it all the same! I would recommend this story to anyone who loves a good historical fiction novel.

Thank you to Net Galley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book. I was not required to provide a positive review. All thoughts and opinions are my own. 

★★★★/5

Synopsis:

To escape a forced marriage, Cora Taylor travels from England to the Blue Ridge Mountains in search of her brother, who is working as a teacher in a mission school. She hopes to find a place where her nursing skills and independent ideas will be accepted and appreciated, but nothing prepares her for the wild mixture of isolation, community, brokenness, and hope within these mountains…or in the person of Jeb McAdams.
Returning from the devastation of World War 1 emotionally damaged, Jeb McAdams struggles against the rampant mountain alcoholism to soothe his nightmares. It’s easy to hide within the mountains, or it was, before Cora Taylor arrives. Now, she seems to show up at every turn, bringing her ideas, curiosity, and beautiful eyes with her. Their mutual understanding of the costs of war leads to an unspoken bond that develops into a hesitant friendship. As Cora turns her nursing experience and determination on establishing hygiene and education for women in the Appalachian community while also attempting to rescue Jeb from his own ghosts, Cora and Jeb’s partnership turns into a project of celebrating the gifts within Appalachia. But when the past sweeps back into their lives and an outbreak of scarlet fever threatens the future, will Cora and Jeb find a way to work together – even if it means unplanned matrimony – or will their different lives and brokenness tear them apart.
 

10 comments:

  1. I need to read this. thanks for the review.
    Blessings~🙏🤗💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cindy,
      I didn't realize my above comment posted anonymously, LOL!
      Have a great day~🙂

      Delete
    2. Robbye, I get it, mine does that sometimes too!

      Delete
  2. I love reading books set in the Appalachians! And this story sounds so good. I've already got it on my TBR list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome, Lark!! I think you will really enjoy it as well!

      Delete
  3. Nice review, Cindy. I try to read series books in order. I have not read anything by Pepper Basham before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Wendy, she is a fabulous author! Especially if you enjoy historical fiction.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Sarita, I haven't read one of hers that I haven't liked :)

      Delete