Monday, November 7, 2022

On the Cliffs of Foxgrove Manor

Title: On the Cliffs of Foxglove Manor

Author: Jaime Jo Wright

Genre: Historical Fiction, Dual-timeline, Christian Fiction, Mystery

Publisher: Bethany House

Source: Own

Challenges:  Mount TBR, The Nerdy Bookworm 50 Books a Year

My review:

 I enjoy Jaime Jo Wright's books. So, without knowing too much about this one, I bought it and finally got around to reading it.

I was disappointed. This is not a book for me. I wanted to enjoy it, but there were too many things going on, it was too hard for me to follow at times, and I found the ending rushed after feeling like the book was dragging in the middle.

Now, like all of Jaime Jo Wright's books, On the Cliffs of Foxglove Manor is well-written. Enough is going on that I wanted to see what happened, even when I struggled with the book. There are many glowing reviews out there, so don't let me dissuade you read the positive ones as well.

Here is where I struggled. I didn't love/connect with the main characters. I am not into books with ghosts. I tried to wrap my head around the scenes with the ghost girl in them, but I didn't understand them. I was lost a lot at the beginning of the novel. Some of the conversations were stilted. The book had dark overtones and I was not prepared for the heavier themes. Can I just say again there was SO much going on? I felt like it was all just too much.

I would recommend this to those who enjoy dark, gothic vibes with subtle Christian undertones. Especially if my issues are not things that bother you. I also recommend reading some of the rave reviews.

★★★/5

Challenges:

Synopsis (Goodreads): 

1885.
Adria Fontaine has been sent to recover goods her father pirated on the Great Lakes during the war. But when she arrives at Foxglove Manor--a stone house on a cliff overlooking Lake Superior--Adria senses wickedness hovering over the property. The mistress of Foxglove is an eccentric and seemingly cruel old woman who has filled her house with dangerous secrets, ones that may cost Adria her life.

Present day.
Kailey Gibson is a new nurse's aide at a senior home in a renovated old stone manor. Kidnapped as a child, she has nothing but locked-up memories of secrets and death, overshadowed by the chilling promise from her abductors that they would return. When the residents of Foxglove start sharing stories of whispers in the night, hidden treasure, and a love willing to kill, it becomes clear this home is far from a haven. She'll have to risk it all to banish the past's demons, including her own.

18 comments:

  1. I'm sorry this was a disappointment for you. The cover is lovely though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Cindy! I have not read this one, but have read others by Jaime Jo Wright. There is often a lot going on in her novels, so I can easily see how it could become too much. Also, I am not a fan of ghost themes either unless it is well explained. It doesn't sound like this one was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gretchen, it was toward the end, but it drove me crazy at the beginning.

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear the book wasn't that great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hena, others loved it, it just wasn't for me.

      Delete
  4. Oh that's too bad. The cover does look intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't mind a darker Gothic vibe, or ghosts, so I might give this one a try. But I do really prefer it when I can connect with the main characters and even like them. Characters are always what pull me into a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, please do try it, I recognize the issues I had are MY issues and not issues everyone will have. There are so many great reviews for this one, it could have been my mood and everything going on as well.

      Delete
  6. Her books are SO atmospheric right down to the cover designs. But I think that was kind of how I felt about what I've read by her. Just too many threads and stories. Cannot even remember which book I did read by her though...! Maybe I'll give another a chance too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rissi, I really enjoyed The Curse of Misty Wayfair and The House on Foster Hill, they were both 5 star reads for me, I just struggled a bit with this one.

      Delete
  7. It has an interesting premise. Too bad it wasn't for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a bummer that this didn't work out for you, but I can understand your issues. I remember I had just finished reading another book about the conspiracy surrounding the missing gold when I started this one, so I thought that aspect was really interesting. Great review, Cindy! :)

    ReplyDelete