Thursday, January 12, 2023

An Unlikely Suitor

Title: An Unlikely Suitor (Audio book)

Series: Gilded Age #2

Author: Nancy Moser

Narrator: Antoinette LaVecchia

Genre: Historical Fiction, Christian Fiction, Romance

Publisher: Bethany House

Source: Hoopla/Library

Challenge: Literary Escapes

My review:

An Unlikely Suitor by Nancy Moser is my first book by this author. I will read other books of hers since I have two on my physical shelves.

An Unlikely Suitor had a very slow start. Some parts were difficult for me to read (hear). Yet, every time I thought about quitting, something kept me going.

I enjoyed listening to the narrator. She did a great job with the accents. I appreciated that the story was about Italian immigrants, something we don't see very often.  I enjoyed the unlikely friendship between Lucy and Rowena. The storyline was well-written and had a lot going for it.

However, it wasn't enough for me to enjoy the story or overlook the parts I didn't like. I actually wish I had quit the story. There were long descriptions about everything (if you have been following my reviews, you know I don't like that).  Lucy and Sofia argued A LOT which quickly got old. Sofia was very immature and selfish. I had a hard time liking her. I struggled with connecting with most of the characters. I saw the big twist coming and DID NOT LIKE it at all. It resolves too quickly to be realistic, and everyone is happy. Sorry, I don't think so.

Trigger warning: attempted sexual assault and a perv with roaming hands. 

Challenge:

Rhode Island

Synopsis (Goodreads):

Lucy Scarpelli, an Italian dressmaker from New York, befriends socialite Rowena Langdon as she's making her summer wardrobe. It's an unlikely friendship, but one that Rowena encourages by inviting Lucy to the family mansion in Newport, Rhode Island. Grateful for Lucy's skill in creating clothes that hide her physical injury, Rowena encourages Lucy to dream of a better future. One day Lucy encounters an intriguing man on the Cliff Walk, and love begins to blossom. Yet Lucy resists, for what man will accept her family responsibilities? Rowena also deals with love as she faces a worrisome arranged marriage to a wealthy heir. And Lucy's teenage sister, Sofia, takes up with a man of dubious character. All three women struggle as their lives, and those of each unlikely suitor, become intertwined in a web of secrets and sacrifice. Will any of them find true happiness? 

6 comments: