Friday, February 3, 2023

First Line Friday #78-Merritt and her Childhood Crush

Welcome back to First Line Friday hosted by Carrie at Reading is My SuperPower!!  I am also linking up with Gilion on Rose City Reader for Book Beginnings. This is where you share the beginning of the book that you are reading. To join in the fun grab the book you are reading and leave a comment with the first line (or your link). This week I am reading Merritt and her Childhood Church by Emma St. Clair and Jenny Proctor. It is the second book in the Oakley Island RomCom series about three sisters.

 

 I AM A FRAUD.

 Book Beginnings:

I AM A FRAUD.

The words loop in my head as I run mile after mile down the beach. I can't go fast enough to escape their refrain. Or the truth behind the words.

I am a fraud. I'm a fraud.

Hello! Nice to meet you. Just call me Ima Fraud.

I haven't committed the kind of fraud that could land me in the clink-do people really call jail that?-but more the personal kind. I haven't defrauded investors or committed mail fraud or any other kinds of fraud out there. No-I've just been pretending to be someone else for, oh, I don't know...almost ten years of my life.

 Synopsis (Goodreads):

I said I’d never set foot on Oakley Island again. Not so long as HE lived there. But after my life implodes, I’m reconsidering EVERYTHING. Including my reasons for avoiding the first—and only—man I’ve ever loved.

I’m a high achiever. Driven. Maybe a little TOO driven.

So when my boyfriend confesses to cheating AND steals the promotion I’ve been working toward for years, I do the unthinkable for someone like me.

I break.

But the timing couldn’t be better for me to fall apart—I can escape to the idyllic Oakley Island and oversee the renovations on my late grandmother’s estate.

There’s just one tiny, massive, little problem: no one told me the contractor is the grown up version of the boy I fell in love with years ago.

He was my first love. My first kiss.

My first heartbreak.

Now, I’m faced with seeing Hunter daily. Being his boss. Forging a new dynamic that fits our adult selves.

Hunter is bigger. Bearded. Talks in grunts rather than words.

And has just as much hold on me as he ever did.

Trouble is, Hunter’s life is on Oakley. His daughter is on Oakley. And it was never my plan to stay here permanently.
Do I really want to risk having my heart broken a second time? More importantly, do I want to risk breaking his?

Merritt and Her Childhood Crush is a second chance at childhood first love romantic comedy. The Oakley Island Romcoms follow three very different sisters as they renovate the house they inherited and find love on the island along the way. The stories are standalone, but if you like continuous stories, we recommend reading them in order. Each book is closed door, with sizzling chemistry but no spice.

Your turn! Grab the current book you are reading and post the first line (or your link) in the comments! Then, click on the icons below and join the fun there too!

 

32 comments:

  1. I can’t wait to read it. Happy Friday my friend. Regine
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Regine, I am enjoying it, but I enjoy all of Emma St. Clair's books :)

      Delete
  2. I think everyone feels like a fraud sometimes. I hope you enjoy this book!

    My First Line Friday post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great intro! Sounds like a good book. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Off to a great start. Fun and relevant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a fun beginning! I want to know who she's been pretending to be for the last ten years

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great beginning! I can't wait to start this one. Hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first line comes from In Spotlight and Shadows from Rachel Scott Mc Daniel:
    Chapter 1 Elise January, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    History didn’t haphazardly repeat itself in the chapters of Elise Malvern’s life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to read this book!!!

    I'm currently reading Miss Newbury's List by Megan Walker. It's a super sweet story!
    "My pulse pounded in my ears. Me? Learn to fight? My fists were as delicate as porcelain. This had to be a joke."
    I hope you have a great weekend! 😀❤️📚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put this one on my TBR because of you :) I hope you love it!

      Delete
  9. I don't read much RomCom, but this one sounds fun, so I might have to try it. Today I'm reading Forged in Love by Mary Connealy. The first line is: "August 1870, Pine Valley, Wyoming, Near the Wind River Mountains ~ A bullet slammed into the side of the stagecoach carrying Mariah Stover, her pa, and her older brother." I hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danielle, this series is awesome and if you do try it please start with the first one, it will make you appreciate this one even more! I do like books set in the mid-west and this one sounds interesting, thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  10. I hope I get a chance to read this one. It sounds fun! Thank you for sharing! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, I hope you do as well, it was SO good!

      Delete
  11. This sounds like a fun story! Thanks for sharing, Cindy! Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, it was great! I hope you have a wonderful week as well!

      Delete
  12. The beginning definitely drew me in!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hear and see SO many good things about these books/author. Pretty sure I'm missing out on a fun kind of read. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rissi, you really are!! I LOVE her books, they are so good!!!

      Delete