Friday, May 26, 2023

First Line Friday #92-Counterfeit Faith

Happy Friday, my bookish friends! First Line Friday is hosted by Carrie at Reading is My SuperPower!!  I am also linking up with Gilion on Rose City Reader for Book Beginnings. This is where you share the beginning of the book that you are reading. This week I will be reading Counterfeit Faith by Crystal Caudill. I am finishing up Counterfeit Hope now, the second book in the series.

The shrill voice of the Carpenters' Hall guide grated against Gwendolyn Ellison's raw nerves. 

Book Beginnings:

April 15, 1885

Philadelphia, PA

The shrill voice of the Carpenters' Hall guide grated against Gwendolyn Ellison's raw nerves. Five tours in three hours and still Mr. Farwell hadn't shown. Of the dozen board members for Final Chance House of Refuge, he'd been the only one to believe her. The only one willing to secretly investigate her claims of abuse. Had someone at Final Chance discovered their clandestine meeting plans? Though she tried to appear the relaxed tourist enjoying a day at the home of the First Continental Congress, every muscle in her back and face ached with stone-hard tension.

Synopsis (Goodreads):

As matron of Final Chance House of Refuge, Gwendolyn Ellison has dedicated her life to serving the children deemed delinquents by society. She'll protect them with everything she has. So when she suspects someone is using Final Chance for criminal deeds, she's determined to investigate and put a stop to it. But villains don't like to be crossed--and they're willing to kill to get their way.

Gwendolyn knows she can't quit fighting. More than her own life is on the line if counterfeiters go free. She must find someone she can trust to help her expose the criminals and protect the children under her care.

Charming and chivalrous Secret Service operative Josiah Isaacs has never been able to turn his back on a woman in trouble--and capturing counterfeiters is his job, after all. The danger he's truly worried about is his growing attraction to Gwendolyn when his heart wants to remain faithful to his deceased wife.

As both peril and interest grow, he begins to consider whether a second love may be possible--if they can live through this case. At the same time, he's put off by her faith in a God he no longer trusts. How can a future together even be possible when their beliefs are at odds?

Your turn! Grab the current book you are reading and post the first line (or your link) in the comments! Then, click on the icons below and join the fun there too!

 

12 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this book or series before but it looks like something I would really enjoy! Adding it to my wishlist. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kym, I have really enjoyed this series!!

      Delete
  2. Is this a standalone kind of book, or is this series best read in order?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, I think each book works fine as a stand-alone :)

      Delete
  3. Happy Friday!
    I'm currently reading Jonas by Susan May Warren. SO good!
    "I'm sorry I got you into this."
    I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, I love her books! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  4. This book seems to hold a lot of promise. I hope it is a satisfying read for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This series is high on my wishlist. It sounds so good! Hope you're having a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley, I have really enjoyed it! I hope you get a chance to read it, maybe your library will get the series! Have a wonderful weekend!!!

      Delete
  6. I love this series! I just finished A Nanny for the Rancher's Twins by Heidi Main. The first line is: "Laney Taylor stepped out of her sedan and breathed in the earthy Texas air." I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete