Thursday, July 27, 2023

Cold Pursuit

Title: Cold Pursuit

Series: Ryland & St. Clair #1

Author: Nancy Mehl

Publisher: Bethany House

Genre: Christian Fiction, Suspense, Contemporary

Source: Bethany House

My Review:

Cold Pursuit is the first book in Nancy Mehl's newest series, Ryland & St. Clair. I am already curious about the next book!

Cold Pursuit has an intense opening scene that immediately draws you into the story. It is gripping and will have you turning the pages late into the night (although I don't recommend this as bedtime reading 😂).

River and Tony worked for the FBI until a case led them to switch careers. They move to St. Louse to be near River's mother and open a private investigation firm. While they think it will be safer work, they have no idea the ramifications that will come with their first case. 

This story is interesting because you also have the perspective of the killer. He has an interesting disorder, along with schizophrenia. While I wouldn't normally enjoy a book giving this perspective (usually SUPER creepy), I found this one to be well-done and not too creepy!

One of the things I love about books like this is there is usually a plot twist. Sometimes you see it coming a mile away, but I have to say this one threw me for a loop! I did not see it coming. 

I highly recommend this to those who enjoy suspense with very little romance. Thank you to Bethany House publishers for the opportunity to read this book. I was not required to provide a positive review. All thoughts and opinions are entirely my own.

★★★★/5

Synopsis (Goodreads): 

Ex-FBI profiler River Ryland still suffers from PTSD after a case that went horribly wrong. Needing a fresh start, she moves to St. Louis to be near her ailing mother and opens a private investigation firm with her friend and former FBI partner, Tony St. Clair. They're soon approached by a grieving mother who wants them to find out what happened to her teenaged son who disappeared four years ago. River knows there's almost no hope the boy is still alive, but his mother needs closure, and River and Tony need a case, no matter how cold it might be.

But as they follow the boy's trail, which gets more complicated at every turn, they find themselves in the path of a murderer determined to punish anyone who gets in his way. With a killer on the loose set on finishing the job he started, will River be pulled back into her tormented past or finally face the demons that haunt her?

With her trademark blend of page-turning thrills and intricate plots, Nancy Mehl delivers a spine-tingling thriller that will keep readers up all night.

3 comments:

  1. Both River and Tony sound like characters I would like. And I do love a good suspense read. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I like! I love reading mysteries and suspense.

    ReplyDelete