Monday, July 10, 2023

Splitting Harriet

Title: Splitting Harriet

Author: Tamara Leigh

Publisher: Multnomah

Genre: Christian Fiction, Humor, Contemporary Romance

Source: Own

Challenges: Twenty-Three in 2023, Christian Romance Reading Challenge 2023

My Review:

I have had Splitting Harriet by Tamara Leigh on my bookshelf for several years. After finishing it, I regret not getting to it sooner! 

I loved Harriet! Her inner dialogue and some situations she found herself in were hilarious. She abhors change and is determined to stick to the straight and narrow, to the point where she is afraid to have fun. Enter motorcycle riding, tattooed Maddox, the epitome of everything she is against, and you have a recipe for disaster. At least where Harriet is concerned.

I enjoyed Maddox's character as well. He is determined to revive Grace Church. He was not prepared for the force that is Harriet. After spending time with Harriet, Maddox is just as determined to revive Harriet. Even if she thinks she's fine. Even if she says she is not interested. 

One of the things I loved about this book is it is relatable. We have a great cast of perfectly flawed characters, all trying to do the right thing, while not agreeing on what the right thing is. Harriet is so afraid of losing herself that she doesn't realize she is already lost. This book is beautifully written, and it made me think. There is a perfect blend of shenanigans and heartfelt moments.

My only regret is that it took me so long to read this book. I highly recommend it.

★★★★★/5

Synopsis (Goodreads):

ONCE UPON A TIME, I WAS A REBEL. AND I HAVE THE TATTOOS TO PROVE IT.

Did I mention I’m also a preacher’s kid? That’s right. And like the prodigal son after whom I modeled myself, I finally saw the error of my ways and returned to the fold. Today my life is all about lead me not into temptation. When I’m not serving as Women’s Ministry Director at my father’s church, I’m working at Gloria’s Morning Café. I even have worthy goals, like saving enough money to buy the café, keeping my Jelly Belly habit under control, and never again hurting the people I love. No more parties. No more unsavory activities. And no more motorcycles.

You’d think I was finally on the right track. But since my dad’s replacement hired a hotshot consultant to revive our dying church, things aren’t working out as planned. And now this consultant says I’m in need of a little reviving myself. Just who does this Maddox McCray think he is? With curly hair that could use a good clipping, a tattoo that he makes no attempt to hide, and black leather pants, the man is downright dangerous. In fact, all that’s missing is a motorcycle. Or so I thought. But if he thinks he’s going to take me for a ride on that 1298cc machine of his, he can think again. Harriet Bisset is a reformed woman, and she’s going to stay that way. Even if it kills me!

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like something I would enjoy reading! Thank you for this review, Cindy. Oh, my mile-long reading list just got longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lux, yay! I hope you get a chance to read it. My reading list seems to grow by the day, LOL!

      Delete
  2. This sounds so cute! But it's one I'll have to buy to read because sadly my library doesn't have it...or any of her books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, that is sad. I bought this at a McKay's used bookstore a few years ago for $.89, well worth it!!! I bought it for the fun cover!!

      Delete