Thursday, September 21, 2023

An Elegant Facade

Title: An Elegant Facade audiobook

Series: Hawthorne House #2

Author: Kristi Ann Hunter

Narrator: Charlotte Anne Dore

Publisher: Bethany House & Tantor Audio

Genre: Historical Fiction, Christian Fiction, Regency, Romance

Source: Hoopla

My Review:

The beginning of An Elegant Facade is the same as A Noble Masquerade, except from Georgina's perspective. It was redundant and confusing. I wondered if I was listening to the same book. 

I did not like Georgina in the first book. It took me well into the second book before I could tolerate her. She seems like a spoiled brat who is used to getting her way. However, once you understand her problem, you better understand her personality, even if you do not like her choices. 

Colin is a great male lead. I enjoyed learning more about his story. He added levity to the book, and I appreciated his honesty and dependability.

I wasn't wild about the narrator or her voices, especially for the men. Toward the end of the book, I could tolerate her character voices, but I wanted to quit the book for most of the story. I recommend reading this one instead of listening to the audio version.

I loved the ending and epilogue. I am not ready to leave the Hawthorne family and am excited to read Trent's story next.

★★★⋆/5

Synopsis (Goodreads): 

Lady Georgina Hawthorne has worked tirelessly to seal her place as the Incomparable for her debut season. At her first London ball, she hopes to snag the attention of an earl.With money and business connections, but without impeccable bloodlines, Colin McCrae is invited everywhere but accepted nowhere. When he first encounters the fashionable Lady Georgina, he's irritated by his attraction to a woman who concerns herself only with status and appearance.What Colin doesn't know is that Georgina's desperate social aspirations are driven by the shameful secret she harbors. Association with Colin McCrae is not part of Georgina's plan, but as their paths continue to cross, they both must decide if the realization of their dreams is worth the sacrifices they must make.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry the audio narrative was so bad. At least it had an ending and epilogue that you loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, you know how it is, you win some, you lose some. I probably would have enjoyed it a bit better if I had read the paperback :) I am enjoying the series, though. I have already started Trent's story and am enjoying it so far!

      Delete