Monday, August 5, 2024

Aftermath

Title: Aftermath

Author: Terri Blackstock

Publisher: Thomas Nelson

Genre: Christian Fiction, Suspense,

Source: Own

My Review:

Aftermath has an explosive start and is filled with suspense from start to finish.

Trigger warnings: cancer, death of a spouse, OCD, and PTSD. While they are all represented realistically and contribute to the story's overall plot, I want the reader to know they are there.

The story is told mostly from three points of view: Taylor who is a witness, the accused, Dustin, and Jaime, the lawyer.

I wasn't expecting to enjoy Aftermath as much as I did. It has been sitting on my shelf to read for over three years. It is a story that sucks you in and you want to read until you are finished. 

While the story flows seamlessly, two things prevent me from giving it a perfect rating. One I feel is unresolved and should have been touched on, and the second just felt too fast. 

Overall, I recommend Aftermath to those who love suspense with a touch of romance. 

★★★★/5

Synopsis (Goodreads): 

A devastating explosion.
Three best friends are at the venue to hear their favorite band. Only one makes it out alive.

A trunk full of evidence.
When police stop Dustin Webb with a warrant to search his trunk, he knows there’s been a mistake. He’s former military and owns a security firm. But he’s horrified when the officers find explosives, and he can’t fathom how they got there.

An attorney who will risk it all for an old friend.
Criminal attorney Jamie Powell was Dustin’s best friend growing up. They haven’t spoken since he left for basic training, but she’s the first person he thinks of when he’s arrested. Jamie knows she’s putting her career on the line by defending an accused terrorist, but she’d never abandon him. Someone is framing Dustin to take the fall for shocking acts of violence . . . but why?

8 comments:

  1. To be set up like that would be so horrifying. I've never read anything by Terri Blackstock before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, I have enjoyed everything I have read by her.

      Delete
  2. Look like a great book.Thanks for sharing your review 😀

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Cindy, you are really having a productive reading summer! You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been forever since I read a novel by Terri, but back in the day I did enjoy her Moonlighters (was that the series title?) trilogy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rissi, I think so, LOL! All the series start to sound alike after a while.

      Delete