Friday, July 24, 2026

The Silent Governess

Title: The Silent Governess

Author: Julie Klassen

Source: own

My Review:

I have quite a few mixed feelings on this story.

First, it is very well-written, which I expect from Julie Klassen.

Second, the mystery threads were intriguing, even when I figured out part of one.

Third, the way the author brings the story full circle was incredible.

Here is where I struggled:

-The story is entirely too long. There were more in-depth descriptions and scenes that were not needed.

-The main female character is attacked/grabbed and kissed, against her will, but she does nothing about it.

-Edward is a tool (main male character). I couldn't stand him, and he wasn't redeemed in my eyes.

-While I like the title and cover of the story, the title doesn't accurately depict the story. 

There is so much I could say, but I don't want to give spoilers. The only thing that kept me reading was the mystery threads and how well the story was written. 

★★★/5

Synopsis (Goodreads):  

Believing herself guilty of a crime, Olivia Keene flees her home, eventually stumbling upon a grand estate where an elaborate celebration is in progress. But all is not as joyous as it seems.

Lord Bradley has just learned a terrible secret, which, if exposed, will change his life forever. When he glimpses a figure on the grounds, he fears a spy or thief has overheard his devastating news. He is stunned to discover the intruder is a scrap of a woman with her throat badly injured. Fearing she will spread his secret, he gives the girl a post and confines her to his estate. As Olivia and Lord Bradley's secrets catch up with them, will their hidden pasts ruin their hope of finding love?

No comments:

Post a Comment