
Author: Michelle Bolanger
Source: JustReads Publicity Tours & author
My Review:
Not My Hero is my first introduction to Michelle Bolanger's books.
I was blindsided going into this book. The prologue deals with heavier themes (see content warnings) that I was not prepared for. I thought from the cover that this would be a light contemporary story. It's not. It is gritty, messy, and real. That is not a bad thing; it's just not what I thought I was getting into.
Kennedy is a strong character, and I admired/appreciated her resilience to start over after devastating losses. Her grit and determination are what had me rooting for her.
Donavan has also had his share of hardships. The difference is, Kennedy's were thrust upon her, and his were the consequences of his decisions (at least to an extent).
As I said earlier, this story is gritty, and I struggled to connect with the characters. As a personal pet peeve, there is minor cursing (several he--, bloody he--, and a--). I also didn't like that the characters knew they were living a modern-day story of Ruth; it just struck me as odd.
Overall, there is enough mystery and intrigue to keep the story moving. The family dynamics, secrets revealed, and family drama are realistic and fascinating, and might even make you appreciate your own family dynamics, LOL.
content warnings: prostitution, sex trafficking, mentions of abuse, loss of parents, loss of spouse, non-sexual nudity, attempted rape
Thank you to JustReads and the author for the e-copy of Not My Hero. I am not required to provide a positive review. All thoughts and feelings are entirely my own.
★★★/5
Synopsis (Goodreads):
She lost everything… except the chance to begin again.
He has everything… except the freedom to follow his heart.
After losing her husband, Kennedy Bishop is left with nothing but grief, debt, and unanswered questions.
Returning
to Dayton with her faithful mother-in-law, Kennedy is determined to
rebuild her life without relying on anyone… especially God.
But
when she crosses paths with the wealthy Donovan Taylor, a devout man
committed to rescuing others while hiding burdens of his own, their
lives become unexpectedly intertwined.
As suspicion, sacrifice,
and unseen connections threaten to tear them apart, the pair must decide
if they’re willing to put their trust in God and take a chance on love.
A
powerful Christian romance about redemption, faith, and the courage to
believe that even the most broken stories can be restored.
Perfect
for readers of Francine Rivers and Nichole Deese, this emotionally rich
Christian romance blends heartbreak, redemption, and faith into a
modern-day story of Ruth that speaks to anyone learning to trust God
again.
Wow, this one definitely sounds like a change in your type of book you usually review. We just studied Ruth in church recently so that is an interesting story line with the modern era idea. Sometimes I want to change things up too! Glad you shared it with us :)
ReplyDelete