
Series: The Donovans #2
Author: Martha Keyes
Narrators: Ella Lynch & Rupert Degas
Source: Hoopla
My Review:
A Confirmed Rake is the second book in the Donovan series, and while it COULD be read as a standalone novel, I highly recommend reading The Art of Victory first. There we meet Diana (Valentine's sister) and Marmaduke (Rebecca's brother).
I absolutely loved the first meeting between Rebecca and Valentine! It is hilarious and showcases both of their personalities perfectly. I giggled through most of the exchange.
Fortunately, the humor continued throughout the story. Valentine is a confirmed rake, and Rebecca has led a very sheltered life. Her naiveté just adds more humor to the story, as does her talk of old men's ailments.
Valentine has led a hard life, and things that stemmed from his childhood are still inhibiting his decisions as an adult. I loved his character growth. Rebecca's sweetness paired with Valentine's grumpiness was the perfect combination.
I loved the entire story. I can't wait to read Phineas' story.
★★★★★ /5
Synopsis (Goodreads):
When Rebecca Russell’s brother marries, she
finally has the opportunity she has been dreaming of: to leave the
seclusion of her reclusive grandfather’s home and enter into Society.
But when her inexperience has her making blunders and courting
embarrassment, help comes from an unexpected source: the brooding,
irritable brother of her chaperone.
Valentine Donovan is a rake,
mountains of gaming debt and all. With his only hope for financial
relief tied up in the Admiralty Court, he must temporarily rely on his
father’s charity—and all the strings attached to it. His father demands
Valentine show evidence that he is changing his ways, so when the
engaging but naive young woman living with his sister presents a plan,
he can’t refuse the opportunity to fulfill some of his father’s
requirements, albeit reluctantly.
But Valentine is unprepared for
Rebecca’s guileless optimism and how impossible he finds it to say no
to her increasingly onerous requests—requests that put both their hearts
and reputations in danger.
This sounds delightful! I'll have to check out this series. :D
ReplyDeleteLark, yes, you will love it!
Delete