Friday, October 9, 2026

Resisting the Fall

Title: Resisting the Fall 

Series: Falling for Autumn

Author: Jess Heileman

Narrators: Kate Coventry and Ryan Duncan

Source: Hoopla

My Review:

At first, the flashbacks got on my nerves. However, as the story continues, you can see how integral they are to the plot and to understanding what led Ben and Maven to where they are now.

Now, they are realizing that their divorce is no longer final. They have court-mandated reconciliation efforts, which end up derailing Maven's dreams. I appreciated the way Ben was all in.

I really enjoyed this story. It has a unique storyline, with characters you want to root for, plenty of witty banter, and harmless pranks. I loved that this was never an enemies-to-more story. It takes a while before we learn why Maven and Ben got divorced (or tried to), but it was worth the wait and helped to build the story. 

★★★★★/5

Synopsis (Goodreads):

The divorce never finalized. Neither did their feelings.

The discovery that I was still legally married—years after I thought my divorce was final—was supposed to be the worst thing to happen to me this fall.

It wasn’t.

Because apparently the state of Vermont believes in closure. And no regrets. And court-ordered thirty-day reconciliation efforts. So now, in order to fast-track my divorce from Bennett Walker—my high school sweetheart and the man who walked out on our marriage seven years ago—I’m being forced back to the small town we grew up in to spend an entire month proving our relationship isn’t worth saving.

A situation Ben annoyingly finds amusing.

Which is why I plan to make this the most memorable, insufferable, torturous thirty days of his life. As a prank-loving aficionado, I have countless ideas about how to drive Ben crazy while keeping myself focused on the goal: finalizing our divorce.

With my life in New York and a career I absolutely love, not even deeply embedded habits and old feelings can threaten my resolve.

I’m resolved.

So resolved.

Absolutely, definitely, one hundred percent resolved. And if I keep saying it, maybe this time around, I’ll be capable of resisting the fall.

4 comments:

  1. I love a good redemption story. And I'm over here desperate for some fall weather. So maybe a fall book could help usher it in haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flashbacks can be annoying. Glad they worked in this one. And what a cute cover!

    ReplyDelete