Sunday, March 28, 2021

Hope Between the Pages

Hope Between the Pages

 Title: Hope Between the Pages

Author: Pepper Basham

Publisher: Barbour Publishing

Genre: Historical Fiction

Publication date: April 1, 2021

Synopsis:

Uncover the Story Behind a One-Hundred-Year-Old Love Letter

Walk through Doors to the Past via a new series of historical stories of romance and adventure.

Clara Blackwell helps her mother manage a struggling one-hundred-year old family bookshop in Asheville, North Carolina, but the discovery of a forgotten letter opens a mystery of a long-lost romance and undiscovered inheritance which could save its future. Forced to step outside of her predictable world, Clara embarks on an adventure with only the name Oliver as a hint of the man’s identity in her great-great-grandmother’s letter. From the nearby grand estate of the Vanderbilts, to a hamlet in Derbyshire, England, Clara seeks to uncover truth about family and love that may lead to her own unexpected romance.

My Review:

Literary genius. Highly romantic. Engaging. Heart-wrenching. Sweet.

This is only the second book that I have read by Pepper Basham and it is a completely different genre from the first one I have read, but it makes me want to grab a copy of all her books, lock myself away, and not come out until I have finished reading them all.

This book is incredible. I was drawn into the story from the first line, "Any story that begins with a library is bound to be an excellent tale," and captivated until the last line (not sharing, no spoilers, read it to find out!). There is so much depth to this story. It is a dual time slip, with Sadie's story beginning in 1915, and Clara's story is present day.

Sadie is a book maid at the Biltmore House and works for the Vanderbilts. She took over this position when her mother passed away. Sadie loves books and loves her job. She has no intention to ever leave her job or fall in love. She meets Oliver, a man above her station, who lives an ocean away. Is there any hope that these two bookish fans will find their happily ever after?

Clara helps care for her mother and works at their family bookshop, Blackwell's. But her vengeful uncle threatens everything they have known and loved. This sends Clara across the ocean in search of answers and truth. She meets Max as she searches through the Camden house for answers. Another man, another ocean, another couple with a love of books. What in the world? Will the distance be insurmountable or will love conquer all?!

There are many quotable lines in this novel and references to other books and shows. One quote I particularly loved was, "Books breathed to me." I also loved the reference to Anne of Green Gables and Gilbert!

Hope Between the Pages has a bit of everything and I loved every part of it. It is extremely well written, engaging, with likable characters. It has bookish characters, a bit of mystery, an understated tender romance, picturesque scenes, several twists and turns, and an undeniable element of faith. I simply cannot say enough good things about this book. It is definitely one of my new all-time favorites!

This was indeed an "excellent tale." I loved everything about it. I read this in eBook format but I want to own a copy of this book. I am not one to highlight in fiction, or reread books, but I want to read this one again (even though I just finished it!) and highlight all those amazing quotes ("God allows us the gift of memories to tide us over to eternity.")! I would recommend this literary excellence to anyone who loves books!!! It is not to be missed. I would also recommend it to anyone who loves historical fiction and deeply poignant romance novels. 

Thank you to Net Galley and Barbour Publishing for the opportunity to read this book. I was not required to give a positive review but am more than happy to do so. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

6 comments:

  1. This book was such an adventure to write because I'd never written dual timeline before. But, oh, what a delight to uncover it and bring readers along as I did! I fell in love with all of it and had no idea Max would be so...well, just delightful. Thank you for this!! SO MUCH!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pepper-I enjoyed it and look forward to reading more of your works!! Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  2. Wow! This is a RAVE review. Makes me even more excited to read the book than I already was :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your thoughts here in this review. This book is amazing. I, too, read it via Kindle, but I'm probably going to purchase a paperback copy so I can have it in my hands. This is absolutely a book I will re-read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, that was me, I HAD to own a copy :)

      Delete