Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Carved in Stone

 Title: Carved in Stone

Series: The Blackstone Legacy #1

Author: Elizabeth Camden

Publisher: Bethany House

Genre: Historical Fiction, Christian Fiction, Romance

Source: Net Galley

My Review:

The cover to Carved in Stone is and is what drew me to want to read this book.  This is my first time reading a book by Elizabeth Camden.

Gwen comes from a life of privilege, even though she has had her share of heartaches. I found it hard to relate to her, especially to how she treats her husband's mistress. Her character is an enigma in that you wonder which personality is actually hers. She seems naive at times, then bold, confident, and then completely unsure of herself. 

Patrick plays the Irishman well and I love how he takes care of his mother. However, I find him to be an okay character, but also hard to relate to.

The history of the time period is portrayed well and the differences of social class is also illustrated clearly. There is not much to love about Gwen's family and you find it hard to believe that she is related to her family.

Overall, I would recommend this book to those who love historical fiction set in the early 1900s.

Thank you to Net Galley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book. I was not required to give a favorable review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Synopsis (from Goodreads): 

After years of tragedy, Gwen Kellerman now lives a quiet life as a botanist at an idyllic New York college. She largely ignores her status as heiress to the infamous Blackstone dynasty and hopes to keep her family's heartbreak and scandal behind her.

Patrick O'Neill survived a hardscrabble youth to become a lawyer for the downtrodden Irish immigrants in his community. He's proud of his work, even though he struggles to afford his ramshackle law office. All that changes when he accepts a case that is sure to emphasize the Blackstones' legacy of greed and corruption by resurrecting a thirty-year-old mystery.

Little does Patrick suspect that the Blackstones will launch their most sympathetic family member to derail him. Gwen is tasked with getting Patrick to drop the case, but the old mystery takes a shocking twist neither of them saw coming. Now, as they navigate a burgeoning attraction and growing danger, Patrick and Gwen will be forced to decide if the risk to the life they've always held dear is worth the reward.

2 comments:

  1. Nice review. I know I prefer books about ordinary people to books with main characters who live in an elite world. But, every once in a while, I enjoy a book where I can see how the other half lives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I went back and read how some of this sounds and it's not quite how it actually is! I think one of the most surprising parts to the book is how Gwen treats her husband's mistress, and it's probably not how you would think it would be.

      Delete