Friday, September 10, 2021

First Line Friday # 16-A Girl's Guide to the Outback

Happy Friday! I hope you are having a great day and looking forward to a relaxing weekend! I know I am 😀 Welcome back to First Line Friday which had been hosted by Hoarding Books and has recently moved to Reading is My SuperPower!! To join in the fun grab the book you are reading and leave a comment with the first line. This week I am sharing from A Girl's Guide to the Outback by Jessica Kate

Samuel Payton was an idiot.

I will also be linking up with Gilion on Rose City Reader for Book Beginnings. This is where you share the beginning of the book that you are reading.

Book Beginnings:

Samuel Payton was an idiot.

Kimberly Foster jammed her phone into her pocket and rushed down the sunny Charlottesville street in a Mr. Potato Head costume, peep-toe heels, and murderous rage.  

I am listening to the audio book and this had me chuckling right away. I can't wait to see what happens next!

About the book (from Goodreads):

How far will a girl go to win back a guy she can't stand? This funny, sweet, and romantic story proves that opposites do attract - and that God has a sense of humor.

Samuel Payton is a passionate youth pastor in Virginia, but below the surface, he's still recovering from the blow of a failed business and insecurities he can't shake. His coworker, start-up expert Kimberly Foster, is brilliant, fearless, and capable, but years of personal rejection have left her defensive and longing for a family. Two people have never been more at odds - or more attracted to one another. And every day at work, the sparks sure do fly.

When Kimberly's ambitious plans for Sam's ministry butt up against his risk-averse nature, Sam decides that obligations to family trump his work for the church. He quits the ministry and heads home to Australia to help his sister, Jules, save her struggling farm. As Kimberly's grand plans flounder, she is forced to face the truth: that no one can replace Sam. Together they strike up a deal: If Kimberly comes to work on Jules's dairy farm and lends her business brains to their endeavor, then maybe - just maybe - Sam will reconsider his future with the church.

As Kimberly tries her hand at Australian farm life, she learns more about herself than she could've ever expected. Meanwhile Sam is forced to re-evaluate this spunky woman he thought he already knew. As foes slowly morph into friends, they wonder if they might be something even more. But when disaster strikes the farm, will Sam find it within himself to take a risk that could lead to love? And will Kimberly trust God with her future?

 Have you read A Girl's Guide to the Outback ? If so, what did you think?

Your turn! Grab the current book you are reading and post the first line in the comments! Then, do the Book Beginnings and join the fun there too!
 

 

20 comments:

  1. LOL those first few lines were a hoot, I bet this book will be entertaining

    Here is my link:
    https://twogirlsandtheirbookishlife.blogspot.com/2021/09/book-beginnings-summer-sons-by-lee.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a fun weekend read! Even the cover screams fun! Read me in the sun!

    Happy weekend.

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first line this week is from The Secret Keepers of Old Depot Grocery by Amanda Cox :
    Sarah nudged aside last night’s puddle of clothes with her bare foot, the exposed designer label sticking out a bit too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paula, thanks for stopping by! I will be reading this one in the next few weeks! Happy Friday!

      Delete
  4. LOL! Those first lines made me laugh so hard! I definitely need to check out this book. Thanks for sharing! Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I am listening to the audio version while I am walking and doing chores, doing more of both so I can listen longer, LOL! But, today I went to the library and grabbed the print copy so I can get the quotes right for when I do my review :)

      Delete
  5. This sounds so fun! I love books that make me laugh. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the opening. This sounds like a lot of fun. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Friday!
    I'm currently on chapter 26 of Crossed Lines by Jennifer Delamere, so I'll share from there.
    "'It's a coach maker's shop!' Emma said in surprise, reading the sign painted over the door."
    Hope you have a wonderful weekend! 🙂❤📚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole, thanks for stopping by! That is an interesting line, I have never really thought of a coach maker's shop. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Catherine-I am loving it!! I listened to it for two hours this morning while I walked my neighborhood, vacuumed and mopped my downstairs, the time went fast!

      Delete
  9. I want to read this one!

    I'm late to comment, but my first line is from To Write a Wrong by Jen Turano. https://daniellegrandinetti.com/2021/09/10/first-line-friday-to-write-a-wrong/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have loved listening to it, it is so funny!! I borrowed the paperback from the library so I can quote properly for my review ;)! I am sure it is enjoyable in both formats, I have one final hour of the book, I am sad it is about to end. BUT, I will start listening to Jen Turano after that, I have never read her, but have many great things about her, so looking forward to that one too!

      Delete