Sunday, October 31, 2021

Undercurrent of Secrets

Title: Undercurrent of Secrets

Series: Doors to the Past

Author: Rachel Scott McDaniel

Publisher: Barbour Fiction

Genre: Historical Fiction, Christian Fiction, Romance, Mystery

Source: Net Galley

Each book in the Doors to the Past series will feature a dual-time period romantic suspense story set against a historic American landmark.

My Review:

This is my first book by Rachel Scott McDaniel but it will not be my last. Her writing is engaging, humorous, fast-paced, and difficult to put down.

Some engagements end in happily ever afters, and some just end...on social media.

I enjoyed both timelines in this dual-time novel and would be hard-pressed to say which one was my favorite. There are elements and intrigue in both, as well as strong females, and irresistible males. Also, both scenes where the lead female meets the lead male are humorous and memorable!!

I'm just wondering if your voice is the sound of an angel guiding me along, or a siren drawing me in to my demise.

In the present, we have Devyn and Chase and I love their witty, bantering friendship. I love that Devyn is herself from the beginning, not looking to impress or capture Chase's attention. The Belle is what brings them together as they work together on Devyn's project and Chase's mystery.

Floating between two shores had been my one anchor. My only constant. I didn't know my true name, parents, birthplace, or anything else that gave substance to my identity.

In the past, we have Hattie, who has been raised on the Idlewild by Duffy, and Jack Marshall, the new first mate to the Idlewild. It was really interesting learning about Hattie's life aboard the ship and how Jack came to be there.

 I loved this story and hope to read more from this author. There was nothing that I did not like about this book. I highly recommend it to anyone who loves historical fiction, romance, mystery, intrigue, and books that have so much to offer!!

Thank you to the publisher and Net Galley for the opportunity to read this book. I was not required to leave a positive review but am more than happy to do so. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

★★★★★/5

Synopsis (from Goodreads): 

Two women, a century apart, are bound by a haunting secret aboard a legendary steamboat.

Walk through Doors to the Past via a new series of historical stories of romance and adventure.

As wedding coordinator for the 100-year-old steamboat The Belle of Louisville, Devyn Asbury takes pride in seeing others’ dreams come true, even though her engagement had sunk like a diamond ring to the bottom of the Ohio River. When the Belle becomes a finalist in the Timeless Wedding Venue contest, Devyn endeavors to secure the prestigious title with hopes to reclaim some of her professional dreams. What she hadn’t planned on was Chase Jones showing up with a mysterious photo from the 1920s.
 
A century earlier, Hattie Louis is as untamable as the rivers that raised her. As the adopted daughter of a steamboat captain, her duties range from the entertainment to cook. When strange incidents occur aboard the boat, Hattie’s determined to discover the truth. Even if that means getting under First Mate Jack Marshall’s handsome skin.

6 comments:

  1. I have not read anything by Rachel Scott McDaniel. I love that this is set on a 100-year-old steamboat

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice (and rare!) when you can enjoy both timelines equally. :)

    ReplyDelete