Sunday, November 28, 2021

The Memory Quilt

Title: The Memory Quilt

Series: Shadow Lake #1

Author: Lenora Worth

Publisher: Kensington Publishers

Genre: Amish, Christian Fiction, Mystery

Source: Net Galley

My Review:

Most books don't start with the main character coming across a body near their family's Inn.

But, that's exactly what Abigail does. She is out for a walk, discovers a man  unconscious on the beach,  and has a gunshot wound. When he regains consciousness he insists on no police, he has no memory of who he is or why he is there. Since she sees him as being spit out of the lake Abigail names him Jonah and attempts to hide him from her parents. 

I cannot imagine the circumstances Jonah finds himself in. You immediately have empathy for him, even if you don't know he is a good guy or a bad guy. Regardless, he is in need of assistance and help in reclaiming his memory.

I love how Abigail does a "primitive" quilt, sketching Jonah's memories as they come and then incorporating them into the quilt. There were several things like this that were unique to the storyline. There are not enough clues given for the reader to solve the mystery of what happened to Jonah and how he came to be at the lake.

I enjoyed this story and well written and engaging it was. If you are in need of a sweet mystery with a unique storyline, then I highly recommend picking up this book.

Thank you to Net Galley and Kensington Publishers for the opportunity to read this book. I was not required to provide a favorable review. All thoughts and opinions are entirely my own.

★★★★/5

Synopsis (from Goodreads): 

Running a historic Inn on beautiful Shadow Lake is a satisfying life for the Amish King sisters. Until love stirs a longing for more . . .

When Abigail King stumbles upon a man lying on the beach near her family inn, her every instinct says to help the stranger. With his memory gone, “Jonah” is reluctant to contact the authorities, so Abigail offers him shelter, despite her sisters’ reservations. As she nurses him back to health, Abigail helps him recover his lost past, creating a quilt from images of the shattered fragments he recalls. But with every square Abigail adds, she wonders if she is falling for a man who can never truly be hers . . .

Jonah feels at home at The Shadow Lake Inn with the lovely Abigail, at peace with the Amish lifestyle she lives. But as the pieces of his past are sewn together, the mystery only deepens—until he knows the only way forward is to turn himself in to the police, to finally discover the truth of who he really is. For the one thing worse than not knowing his past, is not knowing what the future holds for him and Abigail . . .
 

 

8 comments:

  1. This does sound like a fun little mystery; I love that she names him Jonah. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, it was a cute story and the name was appropriate :) Have a great Sunday!

      Delete
  2. this one sounds interesting! i'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a few friends who make quilts. It's such an intricate craft. I can't imagine what I would do if I stumbled upon a body. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, I would scream like a girl, LOL! I have made T-shirt quilts (with LOTS of errors) but my kids were happy with them. The quilting in this novel is WAY above my skill set, lol!

      Delete
  4. She names him Jonah! ha ha! This sounds really fun. I don't know why, but amnesia stories always draw me in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kami, it was really well done. I loved that she named him Jonah too, so fun.

      Delete