Friday, December 17, 2021

First Line Friday #30-Behind Love's Wall

Welcome back to First Line Friday hosted by Meez Carrie at Reading is My SuperPower!! To join in the fun grab the book you are reading and leave a comment with the first line (or your link).  This week I am reading Behind Love's Wall by Carrie Fancett Pagels. This is one of the books in the Doors to the Past series. They do not have to be read in order. Their common theme is that they are all dual-time line romantic suspense novels that are set against an American Landmark.

A hatchet, A Bible, and a revolver were Lily's best friends-and Cousin Clem next door with his shotgun.

I am also linking up with Gilion on Rose City Reader for Book Beginnings. This is where you share the beginning of the book that you are reading.

Book Beginnings:

Outside Detroit, Mid-July 1895

A hatchet, A Bible, and a revolver were Lily's best friends-and Cousin Clem next door with his shotgun. She eyed the flimsy wood-paneled door of the dank room over the tavern. The "music hall" job was supposed to be her venue for the entire summer. Indeed, it was popular as the proprietor had advertised but in all the wrongs ways and for rough clientele. This was no "Opera House" as was clear from some of the obscene lyrics being belted out by the buxom redhead downstairs. Off-tune soprano notes pierced the thin floorboards beneath Lily's feet, and she shivered.

About the book (from Goodreads):

The Grand Hotel Slowly Reveals Her Secrets

Visit historic American landmarks through the Doors to the Past series. History and today collide in stories full of mystery, intrigue, faith, and romance.

Two successful women, a hundred-and-twenty-years apart, build walls to protect their hearts. Modern-day Willa, a successful interior decorator, is chosen to consult for the Grand Hotel’s possible redesign. She discovers a journal detailing the struggles of a young woman, Lily—which reveals dark secrets. The renowned singer wasn’t who she pretended to be. As Willa reaches out to Lily’s descendant, a charismatic and prominent landscape artist, she lets down her guard. Should she share the journal with him, or once again erect a wall as she struggles to redesign both the Grand and her life?

Your turn! Grab the current book you are reading and post the first line in the comments! Then, click on the icons below and join the fun there too! Thank you all for coming by each week, I REALLY appreciate the support and comments 😀


  

12 comments:

  1. This sounds so good. I'm going to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, I have enjoyed others I have read in this series. I am glad to FINALLY be able to read it :)

      Delete
  2. I LOVE that beginning! I've read a few of this author's books and am looking forward to this one. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashley, I am enjoying it! Having a hard time putting it down to get things done..which is sad because it's my busiest weekend of the year, LOL! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. Behind Love’s Wall was a top pick for me this year!


    My first line comes from Proposing Mischief by Regina Jennings
    “When I told Pa I wanted to go to town, I didn’t mean the feed store.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, that's a great and funny first line, Paula. I am enjoying Behind Love's Wall.

      Delete
  4. I love that first line! Today I’m reading A Royal Christmas Wedding by Rachel Hauck: “The night was moonless, the color of black ink, with not one star twinkling from the heavens.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, it is good! I read A Royal Christmas Wedding last year, I hope you enjoy it :)

      Delete
  5. I do like books set in historical places, like the Grand Hotel. Great first line!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, I love the first line, the book is good too :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Sarita, I should finish it today, it's so good!

      Delete