Sunday, January 30, 2022

The Buy-In

Title: The Buy-In

Series: The Graham Brothers #1

Author: Emma St. Clair

Publisher: Amazon Digital Services

Genre: Romantic Comedy, Contemporary, Humor, Fiction

Source: e-copy provided Bought my own paperback :)

My Review:

By now you all know I am a huge fan of Emma St. Clair. I loved her Love Cliche' series and I was excited about this book.  

What kind of a show is named Poop Creek?

I am happy to report that I loved this book as well. I don't even know where to start with the review. I love that in a way, The Graham Brothers comes after the Love Cliche' series. The Graham family appeared in all the Love Cliche' novels. Now the guys will get their own stories and I can't wait to read each one! If you have not read the Love Cliche' series I highly recommend them before this series. This series can totally stand on its own but you will miss all the interactions with them from the other series (again, not needed, just highly recommended). If you read this book without reading that series, no worries, go back and read them now while we all wait impatiently for the next book to come out!

It's like the abandoned film set for Hart of Dixie and Gilmore Girls and Sweet Magnolias all wrapped up in one.

Pat is a big teddy bear! He is huge, cuddly, adorable sweet...and apparently hot. I love his personality and that he jumps into whatever he is doing all.the.way. Now, just because he is sweet doesn't mean he's not willing to fight for what he wants...we see that over and over again throughout the story. One of my favorite character traits is his nervous habit (no spoilers, read it for yourself!).

The Grahams are not the Kardashians.

Lindy. Sweet Lindy. She has had a hard time taking care of her niece and mom, and just had a dump truckload of bad luck. Her house is practically falling down around her and it is all she can do to keep the humans alive (can you relate?). Needing a husband to keep custody of her niece is the icing on the cake.

You're not a Sheeter.

Jojo is such a precious, smart, funny child. She is fun personified. The story wouldn't be what it is without her.

Her voice is clear and strong, filled with a poise and a vocabulary that belies her age.

The Buy-In is a second chance, marriage of convenience story. It is set in small town, Texas, has a name I love (again no spoilers) and a setting I wish I could visit.While there are more humorous moments than I can possibly count, there is also depth to it. One of the main story threads is a custody battle, but St. Clair has done a fabulous job of balancing the light and heavy, making this an absolute delight to read. It is a clean read, closed-door romance, but has a slow, steady burn as the affection between Lindy and Pat heats up.

Now I'm the napkin hussy of Sheet Cake.

I could literally gush about this book all day. I will say, I am thrilled that I bought it and own a copy. It is the perfect book to grab when you need a laugh (or three). It is hard to put down and as it's a bit of a longer read, I advise you to start it earlier in the day and not at bedtime! I will be adding this one to my favorites shelf.

Thank you to the author for providing an ARC of the book (which I didn't read because I needed to read it in paperback form 😂). I was not required to provide a review. All thoughts and opinions are always and forever my own.

★★★★★/5

Synopsis (from Goodreads): 

"You can't Schitt's Creek a town, Tank."

"And you can't verb a noun, son."

When a family of former pro football players buy a small Texas town, they didn't intend to start a war with its residents ... or to fall in love.

Ever since his career-ending injury, Pat has bounced from job to job, idea to idea, short-lived relationship to short-lived relationship. But when his father purchases the town of Sheet Cake, Pat suddenly sees his life with clear purpose: get his brothers on board with his dad's wild idea and win back the one woman who got away.

Lindy was supposed to be traveling the world, not stuck in a small town, caring for her niece. But she would do anything to keep custody of Jo--even if that looks like a marriage of convenience with the man who already broke her heart once.

Now if she can only keep herself from falling back in love with her husband...

This is a small town, marriage of convenience romantic comedy with plenty of sizzle while keeping the bedroom door closed. Perfect for fans of Sarah Adams and Sariah Wilson!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks again for your recommendation for this book and author. I really enjoyed this as well, and your review is right on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, you're welcome!! So glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  2. You've convinced me! I have to read this one now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, YAY! I would love to hear your thoughts after you do! Have a great week!

      Delete
  3. This really does sound like so much fun! I am going to take a look at the first series as you've recommended.

    This was a lovely and thorough review Cindy. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elza, yes, please do that!!! If you get a chance to listen to them on audio the narrators do a FABULOUS job!!!

      Delete
  4. I've really got to read this author, and your review makes me really want to read this book too! Great review, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I LOVE her books. I have Royally (Re)Arranged on my shelf waiting to be read as well by her :) I highly recommend them, if you an listen to the Love Cliche' books on audio, the narrators are fabulous!

      Delete