Monday, February 7, 2022

At Your Request

Title: At Your Request (Audio)

Series: Apart from the Crowd #0.5

Author: Jen Turano

Narrator: Lauren Ezzo

Publisher: Two Words Publishing

Genre: Historical Fiction, Humor, Romance, Novella

Source: Hoopla

My review:

While I enjoy Jen Turano's books, this one fell a little flat for me. First, it is a novella which means the story is going to have to move quickly. Second, while it was humorous in parts, it was missing the witty dialogue and laugh-out-loud humor that I have come to enjoy in Turano's novels. Third, it seemed silly in some parts, and completely unrealistic in others. Since it is a novella, I won't elaborate with examples, because I don't want to give any spoilers. 

Overall, I think it was an okay preview of the characters that are to come in the Apart From the Crowd series. I am glad I read (listened to) it, but it is not one that I would care to read again.

★★★/5

Synopsis (from Goodreads): 

After Miss Wilhelmina Radcliff’s father lost the family fortune in a poor investment decision, she finds herself banished from the fashionable set within New York society and directly into the wallflower section. Taking on work as a social secretary in order to help with family expenses, she spends her time penning out invitations to all the most sought-after events, wondering if her life will ever improve.

While languishing one evening at a ball given by one of the esteemed New York patriarchs, Wilhelmina is appalled to discover that Mr. Edgar Wanamaker, her oldest and dearest friend, and the first gentleman to offer her a marriage proposal, has shown up at the ball unexpectedly, having been absent from New York ever since she rejected his offer years before.
 

2 comments:

  1. Few novella really hit the mark with me, too. I'm going to be looking out for Jen Turano.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, same. I was thinking I needed to read this before the series but think it's not needed.

      Delete