Saturday, February 26, 2022

Stacking the Shelves #12, Sunday Post #9, Sunday Salon #4

Hey bookish friends! I hope you are having a fabulous weekend. We had a very full house this week and I am exhausted. It was a bit much for this introvert πŸ˜‚ My daughter and I spent a few hours at a used bookstore this morning and I plan to spend the rest of the day on the couch πŸ˜‚What are your plans for the weekend?

Stacking The Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual.This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks! And audiobooks. The Stacking the Shelves meme is hosted at Reading Reality.

For Review:


 Thrift shopping

Free Thrift Finds (Agatha Christie was missing the cover, but no pages):

 
Free Thrift Finds for my Little Library:


I added 10 books to my Goodreads shelf this week! It's too many to post here πŸ˜‰  

I finished 2 books this week, and started 2 more (1 fiction,1 Nonfiction). I am still working on some of the reviews.

In other bookish news I had my first book club meeting Thursday night. Out of 6 people interested 2 came, but not at the same time. One came early because she had a meeting at the time of our meeting, and the other one got there right before she left. I do not feel that we covered very much and didn't finalize anything 🀷 I am doing a lot of individual messaging trying to coordinate details, schedules, and the first book we will read next month. I am still waiting on people to get back to me on suggestions (I gave them a list our library had of book club books that they have 10 copies of). One person told me to go ahead and pick the book, but I am trying to get feedback. What do you all think? Any tips and suggestions to help me get this going smoothly? Also, I thought about starting a Facebook page for easier communication, one person said to wait and two others said yes, and the others haven't responded. Thoughts on this???

I am also linking up with the Sunday Post. The Sunday Post is a blog news meme hosted at Caffeinated Reviewer. I will also be joining Deb at Readerbuzz for the Sunday Salon.
 
What books have you added to your physical or virtual bookshelves? I would love to hear from you. Click on the icons below to join in on the fun. Have a great weekend!
 
 

36 comments:

  1. My weekend plans also include a lot of time on the couch! Nice book haul, I'm so excited that you're filling up your little library. I have never been in a book club, so I can't help you there. Have a great weekend, Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. I was in a book club years ago for a very short time and the only thing I remember about it was that I didn't like the books. I think that is why I feel so much pressure to pick the right books!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you deserve a rest! I plan some filing and dusting, no fun, I know. Happy rest of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Harvee, hopefully you will get some rest once you get your chores done ;)

      Delete
  3. I love a good used bookstore! :) And I hope the rest of your weekend is relaxing. I want to read more Christie.

    Oh and I hope your book club takes off. I bet it will once everyone gets on the same page :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg, yes, just have to get them there, LOL! I also want to read more Christie and was excited to get these! I am resting again today and hope you are having a good weekend.

      Delete
  4. Visiting a used bookstore sounds like the perfect way to relax after a busy week! Looks like you found some great books. I don't have any advice for you with your book group, I just know it is really hard to get people together these days.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gretchen, it is hard to get people together these days, but I think we all want those connections, we just don't always want to put in the effort to make them (guily!). I love visiting used bookstores, so much fun and you never know what you will find!

      Delete
  5. Busy but fun weekend for you. I just love going thriftshopping for used books, whether at Friends of the Library (when that is open, not much anymore) and my local Goodwill and Salvation Army which have a very decent, though ever-changing, collection. Sometimes I come home with one, and sometimes up to 8 or so. I read The Host by Meyer that I see in your stack. I never read the Twilight Books but from what I've heard this is quite different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mia, I LOVED the Twilight books, I hope to enjoy The Host, and honestly know nothing about it. My husband was glad I had grabbed it (it was in the bargain section) as he had been looking for it, it's on his TBR list. I rarely find anything at my local Goodwill, but tend to have better luck at McKay's.

      Delete
  6. I love going to a used bookshop. It's the ideal place to go to relieve stress. I think I need to make a stop there this week.

    What's worked for our book club is only reading books that at least one person has already read and loved. We also try to choose books that our library has several copies of, and then we share those with each other. I look forward to seeing what others bring as treats that generally connect with the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I agree, bookstores are a GREAT stress reliever. I printed off a list of books that our library has book club kits for (which gives us 10 books), and they have like 30+ kits to choose from, so I thought it was a good place to start, we'll see how it goes.

      Delete
  7. A wonderful second-hand bookstore here (in Ann Arbor) ran several great book clubs, and I participated until all such things were derailed two years ago. One side effect: I shopped the bookstore at least once per month. I'm still staying away from indoor groups, but the book clubs haven't resumed anyway. I hope your new one gets together and has a great time.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope your book club is a success! I wish I had suggestions, but every book club I've joined hasn't lasted long. People are just too busy or don't read the books. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aj, I understand that completely! I hope to have success with it, but we'll see.

      Delete
  9. Utterly Amazed has such a gorgeous cover. Sorry to hear the Agatha Christie novel came without a cover, but as long as all the pages are there, it's no big loss. I can't remember the story though...

    You will have to read it and tell us more to refresh my memory!

    Have a good week Cindy and happy reading and finding books.

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you got some great books this week! Those piles! Have a great week!
    Lisa Loves Literature

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great book haul this week! Enjoy them. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that's a great book haul, I love books stores! I hope your book club gets it's groove soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love thrift store book shopping! You got some great books there. I have to curtail my visits (for now) because I'm trying to whittle down my physical books before I move. I'd be spending the day on the couch after having a house full of people, too! Hope you get some rest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Suggestion: make a google doc survey asking for feedback what date would be best for book club. Our club picked the third Tuesday of each month at 7 PM, then stick with that decision at least for 6 months to a year. Don't change the date and time because someone has to miss. Once people settle in, they will stop making appointments during book club meetings. I'd pick something really compelling that members may have heard of for your first book, like Eleanor Oliphant is Coming Fine or a Man Called Ove. Both books are very easy to discuss and your members will want to read them even if they are a little book hesitant. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback and suggestions Anne, I really appreciate it :)

      Delete
  15. Nice book stacks! I need to go book thrifting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going again on Thursday...it will be the last time for quite a while :)

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. Are there any near you? We drove an hour and 40 minutes to go to McKay's and will be going to another one, in the opposite direction, about the same distance, on Thursday :)

      Delete
  17. Great haul! I hope you will enjoy all of these. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh - it is always fun to pick up books at thrift prices. I went heavy this week picking up 24 titles at Audible because each was under $4.00 dollars. That really broke my very limited purchases January and February.
    My Ladies Book Club dissolved during Covid and doesn't look to be convening again. We had about seven members but only five would regularly attend. I am switching to a small group Bible Study to start soon. We'll see how that will go. :-) Good luck with your group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, I would love to do a small group Bible Study again, I always learned so much! I teach my youth group but it's not the same. I have definitely done some damage with my thrift finds (we went again to another place this week) and will not be able to buy books again for quite a while, LOL. Have a good weekend.

      Delete