Sunday, March 27, 2022

In the Field of Grace

Title: In the Field of Grace

Author: Tessa Afshar

Publisher: River North

Genre: Biblical Fiction, Romance, Historical Fiction

Source: Owned

My review:

In the Field of Grace is based on the story of Ruth and Boaz in the Bible. It stays true to the Biblical accounts while fleshing out the story. It is a slow and easy read. 

I have always loved Ruth's story in the Bible. Afshar's account of how it could have been is thought-provoking and will pull on your heartstrings. Ruth's love and devotion for her grandfather was beautiful. I did feel that Ruth could have been portrayed a little more realistically.

I would recommend this to fans of historical fiction and Biblical fiction.

★★★/5

Synopsis (from Goodreads): 

Without wealth or family, the widow Ruth left her people and followed Naomi, her beloved Hebrew mother-in-law, to rebuild Naomi's home in Israel. Provisions gone and starvation at the door, Ruth used all that she had left--a strong back and a willing heart--to gather grain in a field, abandoned after the harvest.

Tormented by others, Ruth is shocked to find the owner of the field watching her. Talking to her. Bringing food to her and Naomi. Boaz tells himself his kindness toward Ruth is repayment for the love she has shown to his cousin Naomi. But his heart knows better.
 

Challenges:

 

 

6 comments:

  1. Haven't seen a Biblical movie in a long time, and Easter is coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lovely story. Too bad it was a bit slow, and not as realistic as you would have liked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy, I am glad I gave it a try :)

      Delete
  3. I've also always loved the story of Ruth and Boaz. There's a new Afrikaans (my mother tongue) book out also about the story of Ruth that I have my eye on.

    Sorry that this one was a slow read, but your review was honest and lovely.

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete