Friday, April 29, 2022

First Line Friday #48-The Apothecary's Daughter

Happy Friday, my bookish friends! Any plans for the weekend? I really don't have that many so not sure what I will end up doing...Welcome back to First Line Friday hosted by Carrie at Reading is My SuperPower!! I am also linking up with Gilion on Rose City Reader for Book Beginnings. This is where you share the beginning of the book that you are reading. To join in the fun grab the book you are reading and leave a comment with the first line (or your link).  This week I am reading The Apothecary's Daughter by Julie Klassen.

I remember it clearly, although it was years ago now. For I remember everything.

Book Beginnings:

I remember it clearly, although it was years ago now. For I remember everything.

The year was 1810. I was a girl of fifteen, standing on the arched Honeystreet Bridge-which I often did when I was not needed in Father's shop-gazing upon the brightly painted boats that floated past. There was a blue barge, and there a yellow-and-white narrowboat. In reality, I was searching. Searching the face of every person on every narrowboat that passed by on the newly completed K and A Canal.

About the book  (Goodreads):

Lilly Haswell remembers everything — whether she wants to, or not...

As Lilly toils in her father's apothecary shop, preparing herbs and remedies by rote, she is haunted by memories of her mother's disappearance. Villagers whisper the tale, but her father refuses to discuss it. All the while, she dreams of the world beyond—of travel and adventure and romance.

When a relative offers to host her in London, Lilly discovers the pleasures and pitfalls of fashionable society and suitors, as well as clues about her mother. But will Lilly find what she is searching for—the truth of the past and a love for the future?

Your turn! Grab the current book you are reading and post the first line in the comments! Then, click on the icons below and join the fun there too! Thank you all for coming by each week, I REALLY appreciate the support and comments 😀

 

16 comments:

  1. Looks like a great read! That first line definitely makes me curious.

    Ash @ Essentially Ash

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is remembering everything part of the plot. Can you imagine never being able to forget anything? My quotes come from: The House in the Cerulean Sea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is. There are things I would like to remember that I forget, but I would not want to rememeber EVERYTHING!

      Delete
  3. I love that beginning! Another one to add to my TBR list. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Lark! I hope you enjoy it when you get a chance to read it!

      Delete
  4. Nice pick! I would like a better memory, but not one where I couldn't forget anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Friday!
    I'm currently finishing up The Murder of Mr. Wickham by Claudia Gray. If you love Austen’s novels, you will love this book. It's so good!
    "As much as Juliet had learned of the arts of deception of late, she knew she was as yet not proficient."
    Hope you have an excellent weekend. Happy reading! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, I have mixed feelings on Austen's novels...the ones I have read. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  6. Love that beginning. This is one of the few early books by Julie Klassen that I haven't read yet. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley, I still need to read The Silent Governess as well. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  7. I'd like to read this one sometime. I hope you have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My first line comes from Written on the Wind by Elizabeth Camden:

    “Natalia Blackstone always considered the third floor of her family’s bank the most fascinating five thousand square feet in the entire United States.”

    ReplyDelete