Friday, September 9, 2022

First Line Friday #63-My Dear Miss Dupré

 Happy Friday, my bookish friends! Welcome back to First Line Friday hosted by Carrie at Reading is My SuperPower!! I am also linking up with Gilion on Rose City Reader for Book Beginnings. This is where you share the beginning of the book that you are reading. To join in the fun grab the book you are reading and leave a comment with the first line (or your link).  This week I am reading My Dear Miss Dupré by Grace Hitchcock.

Willow Dupré twirled on the ice, spreading her arms and guiding her body around the other skaters on the frozen lake of Central Park.

Book Beginnings:

New York City

New Year's Eve, 1882

Willow Dupré twirled on the ice, spreading her arms and guiding her body around the other skaters on the frozen lake of Central Park. The crisp morning air nipped at her cheeks and brought life to her limbs that ached from the long hours working behind her father's desk, which was something she was unused to doing. Since Father's illness, the ice was the one place she could truly release the pressures of assuming the throne of her family's sugar empire, for there was no risk of gliding by one of her paunchy board members.

Synopsis (Goodreads):

Willow Dupré never thought she would have to marry, but with her father's unexpected retirement from running the prosperous Dupré sugar refinery, plans changed. The shareholders are unwilling to allow a female to take over the company without a man at her side, so her parents devise a plan--find Willow a spokesman king in order for her to become queen of the empire.

Willow is presented with thirty potential suitors from the families of New York society's elite group called the Four Hundred. She has six months to court the group and is expected to eliminate men each month to narrow her beaus until she chooses one to marry, ending the competition with a wedding. Willow reluctantly agrees, knowing she must do what is best for the business. She doesn't expect to find anything other than a proxy . . . until she meets Cullen Dempsey, and she must discover for herself if his motives are pure.

Your turn! Grab the current book you are reading and post the first line (or your link) in the comments! Then, click on the icons below and join the fun there too!

 

20 comments:

  1. I like the sound of that intro. Thanks for sharing and happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's like a historic game show! I love the look of mischief in the eyes of the woman on the cover

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thirty potential suitors! That's a lot. This one sounds like fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like the perfect weekend read! Hope you will enjoy it Cindy.

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mareli, I just hope I find the time to sit and read it ;)

      Delete
  5. Miss Dpree was a very good and funny book!

    My first line comes from Worthy of Legend by Roseanna White:
    The sea was vengeance. The sea was justice. The sea was the hand of the Almighty, stretched out to slap and strike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, I am seeing that one around quite a bit, I hope you enjoy it!!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a nice beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's hard to think about skating in Central Park right now since it is so hot outside. Enjoy!
    My novel this week is DEACON KING KONG The book is as good as the title!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this book!

    I'm currently reading Worthy of Legend by Roseanna M. White. It's SO good!
    "The end of the evening was at long last in sight, which lured Emily into relaxation. Too soon, however."
    Hope you have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, I have heard great things about Worthy of Legend, glad you are enjoying it as well.

      Delete
  9. Sounds good. I like any books set in New York. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been meaning to read this one for a while now. It sounds like so much fun. I'll be eager to hear your thoughts on it. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley, I had been meaning to read it too ;) I am having to read slowly because my time is short, but I am enjoying it so far.

      Delete