Friday, September 16, 2022

First Line Friday #64- A Rumored Fortune

Happy Friday, my bookish friends! Welcome back to First Line Friday hosted by Carrie at Reading is My SuperPower!! I am also linking up with Gilion on Rose City Reader for Book Beginnings. This is where you share the beginning of the book that you are reading. To join in the fun grab the book you are reading and leave a comment with the first line (or your link).  This week I am reading A Rumored Fortune by Joanna Davidson Politano.

 

"I say Tressa Harlowe's dead. It's the only explanation for it."

Book Beginnings:

Somerset, England, 1866

"I say Tressa Harlowe's dead. It's the only explanation for it."

     I didn't set out to eavesdrop, but some conversations are simply too interesting to avoid overhearing. Especially when the topic discussed by these strangers is me. In such cases, I had no choice but to absorb every word, for wasn't it my business even more than theirs?

Synopsis (Goodreads):

Tressa Harlowe's father did not trust banks, but neither did he trust his greedy extended family. He kept his vast fortune hidden somewhere on his estate in the south of England and died suddenly, without telling anyone where he had concealed it. Tressa and her ailing mother are left with a mansion and an immense vineyard and no money to run it. It doesn't take long for a bevy of opportunists to flock to the estate under the guise of offering condolences. Tressa knows what they're really up to. She'll have to work with the rough and rusticated vineyard manager to keep the laborers content without pay and discover the key to finding her father's fortune--before someone else finds it first.

Your turn! Grab the current book you are reading and post the first line (or your link) in the comments! Then, click on the icons below and join the fun there too!

 

16 comments:

  1. This sounds good. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That definitely gets you wondering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a good treasure hunt. That first line cracked me up! I agree that "some conversations are simply too interesting to avoid overhearing."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Politano's work!! Will need to add this to my TBR!

    My first line comes from The Governess by Kristie Self:

    "The young girl stood near the front window of her family's home, fear crawling up her spine as she kept a watchful scene unfolding outdoors"

    https://www.musingsofasassybookishmama.com/2022/09/first-line-friday-governess.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly-Ann, I appreciate you stopping by! This is the first book by Politano I have read. I have not read anything by Kristie Self.

      Delete
  5. Happy Friday!
    I’m currently reading The Belle of Belgrave Square by Mimi Matthews.
    “Julia sat immobile on the silk damask-cushioned bench in front of her carved walnut dressing table as her lady’s maid, Mary, put the final touches on her evening coiffure.”
    I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great opening! I thought I had this one on my TBR list, but for some reason I don't. Adding it now. This sounds fantastic. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley, I hope you enjoy it when you get a chance to read it. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  7. Really love Joanna Politano’s books!

    My first line comes from Chapter 1 of A Gem of Truth by KimberleyWoodhouse :
    April 1907 Hotel Casraneda Las Vegas, New Mexico
    Some days were not predictable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy this one, Paula! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  8. Love this cover! I haven't read it yet though. I'm currently reading Dangerous Beauty by Melissa Koslin and the first line is: "She ran." -- Hope you have a great rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danielle, I hope you enjoy Dangerous Beauty!

      Delete