Thursday, September 15, 2022

My Dear Miss Dupré

Title: My Dear Miss Dupré

Series: American Royalty #1

Author: Grace Hitchcock

Genre: Historical Fiction, Romance, Christian Fiction

Publisher: Bethany House

Source: Library

Challenge: Virtual TBR

My review:

What a unique concept for this time period! You essentially have a reality TV show without the TV, just reporters.

Thirty suitors allow for lots of comedic moments, suspense, and intrigue. Willow does not enter into this arrangement lightly. 

Willow is a strong character, and we see growth in her throughout the story. She never imagined she would come to care for her suitors or that she would have a difficult decision in the end. While this sounds like a "fluff" read, it also has heart and depth.

There are several wonderful contenders for Willow's hand, and as the story unfolds true colors are exposed. I had one I was rooting for, but I don't want to give away any spoilers.

My Dear Miss Dupré was my first story by Grace Hitchcock and I look forward to reading more from her. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys historical fiction and is fascinated by shows like the Bachelorette.  

★★★★/5

Challenge:

Synopsis (Goodreads): 

Willow Dupré never thought she would have to marry, but with her father's unexpected retirement from running the prosperous Dupré sugar refinery, plans changed. The shareholders are unwilling to allow a female to take over the company without a man at her side, so her parents devise a plan--find Willow a spokesman king in order for her to become queen of the empire.

Willow is presented with thirty potential suitors from the families of New York society's elite group called the Four Hundred. She has six months to court the group and is expected to eliminate men each month to narrow her beaus until she chooses one to marry, ending the competition with a wedding. Willow reluctantly agrees, knowing she must do what is best for the business. She doesn't expect to find anything other than a proxy . . . until she meets Cullen Dempsey, and she must discover for herself if his motives are pure.

10 comments:

  1. Definitely something different and a book I can see will travel well. Even I am intrigued and will take a closer look now!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just the idea of a historical fiction bachlorette kind of book makes me smile. It's a very fun premise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does sound like such an interesting premise. I'm glad to hear you liked it. I have read Grace Hitchcock before and really enjoyed her I'll have to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gretchen, I have some of her suspense books on my shelf to read. I look forward to them :)

      Delete
  4. A historical reality show! It has a wonderful premise, and I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I did read about this one back when it was new. It sounds fun but since historical fiction isn't my jam, I don't tend to pick up many in the genre and instead stick to the authors I know. :)

    ReplyDelete