Friday, October 14, 2022

First Line Friday #67-The Nature of Small Birds

Happy Friday, my bookish friends! I am going to be in the car all day today, traveling to Ohio again. My plan is to listen to my audio books 😀 What are you up to today?

Welcome back to First Line Friday hosted by Carrie at Reading is My SuperPower!! I am also linking up with Gilion on Rose City Reader for Book Beginnings. This is where you share the beginning of the book that you are reading. To join in the fun grab the book you are reading and leave a comment with the first line (or your link). This week I am reading The Nature of Small Birds by Susie Finkbeiner. 

 
 No matter how the world has changed over the course of my life, somehow crayons still smell the way they did when I was a kid.

Book Beginnings:

Bruce, 2013

No matter how the world has changed over the course of my life, somehow crayons still smell the way they did when I was a kid. A fresh pack of Crayolas sits open on the kitchen table, and I rolled the one called "Macaroni and Cheese" between thumb and finger.

Synopsis (Goodreads):

In 1975, three thousand children were airlifted out of Saigon to be adopted into Western homes. When Mindy, one of those children, announces her plans to return to Vietnam to find her birth mother, her loving adoptive family is suddenly thrown back to the events surrounding her unconventional arrival into their lives.

Though her father supports Mindy's desire to meet her family of origin, he struggles privately with an unsettling fear that he'll lose the daughter he's poured his heart into. Mindy's mother undergoes the emotional roller coaster inherent in the adoption of a child from a war-torn country, discovering the joy hidden amid the difficulties. And Mindy's sister helps her sort through relics that whisper of the effect the trauma of war has had on their family--but also speak of the beauty of overcoming.

Told through three strong voices in three compelling timelines, The Nature of Small Birds is a hopeful story that explores the meaning of family far beyond genetic code.

 Your turn! Grab the current book you are reading and post the first line (or your link) in the comments! Then, click on the icons below and join the fun there too!

 

10 comments:

  1. I like the sound of this. I'm an adoptive mother, so I always like stories about adoption

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, it is SO good. I should have already finished it but so busy with getting ready to travel and then being in the car ALL day yesterday! I HIGHLY recommend it.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like an emotional read. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved Nature of Small Birds!
    My first line this week comes from a breathtaking book The Lost Melody by Joanna Politano.
    One day in late May of the year 1886, I found myself imprisoned in the Hurstwell Pauper Lunatic Asylum. This was unconscionable—- I had never been a pauper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, I will be reading that one soon. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  4. This was a beautiful story! Hope you had plenty of time for audiobooks on your trip :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! I finished one and started the second on Friday :)

      Delete
  5. I have this one on my tbr list. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete