Friday, October 28, 2022

First Line Friday #69- The Lost Melody

Welcome back to First Line Friday hosted by Carrie at Reading is My SuperPower!! I am also linking up with Gilion on Rose City Reader for Book Beginnings. This is where you share the beginning of the book that you are reading. To join in the fun grab the book you are reading and leave a comment with the first line (or your link). This week I am reading The Lost Melody by Joanna Davidson Politano.  

 One day in late May of the year 1886, I found myself imprisoned in the Hurstwell Pauper Lunatic Asylum.

Book Beginnings:

One day in late May of the year 1886, I found myself imprisoned in the Hurstwell Pauper Lunatic Asylum. This was unconscionable-I had never been a pauper.

    I woke in a damp little room, and the music of the place was entirely wrong. I'd fallen asleep in a Beethoven sonata, white and airy, wrapped up with silky delight, and woken in the dark heart of Berlioz's eerie Symphonie Fantastique, my head thudding with deep bassoon, the echoing rhythm of rain hitting stone.

Synopsis (Goodreads):

When concert pianist Vivienne Mourdant's father dies, he leaves to her the care of an adult ward she knew nothing about. The woman is supposedly a patient at Hurstwell Asylum. The woman's portrait is shockingly familiar to Vivienne, so when the asylum claims she was never a patient there, Vivienne is compelled to discover what happened to the figure she remembers from childhood dreams.

The longer she lingers in the deep shadows and forgotten towers at Hurstwell, the fuzzier the line between sanity and madness becomes. She hears music no one else does, receives strange missives with rose petals between the pages, and untangles far more than is safe for her to know. But can she uncover the truth about the mysterious woman she seeks? And is there anyone at Hurstwell she can trust with her suspicions?

Fan-favorite Joanna Davidson Politano casts a delightful spell with this lyrical look into the nature of women's independence and artistic expression during the Victorian era--and now.

Your turn! Grab the current book you are reading and post the first line (or your link) in the comments! Then, click on the icons below and join the fun there too!

 

20 comments:

  1. I just finished that one! SOOOOOO GOOD!!

    The book I'm featuring on my blog this week is A Promise for Faith by Stacy Simmons. The author is a dear friend of mine who unexpectedly went home to be with the Lord this week and I wanted to honor her by giving her the spotlight this week. I hope you have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds great and I like the quotes. Adding to my TBR...

    My Friday post

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to read this book!

    I'm currently finishing Where the Blue Sky Begins by Katie Powner. It's really good!
    "The survival bag, or whatever she called it, was not in Eunice's bathroom."
    I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, I just received my copy of Where the Blue Sky Begins so I will be reading it soon :) I am enjoying this one so far, it is very interesting!

      Delete
  4. I love this. I like the setting of an asylum and I'm wondering what happened!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, it is keeping my attention (when I have time to pick it up, LOL).

      Delete
  5. The Lost Melody was tops for me this Year!
    First line of Where the Blue Sky Begins by Katie Powner:
    Eric Larson had never seen such a sorry excuse for a town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, I got my copy of Where the Blue Sky Begins yesterday, I will be reading it in the next few weeks!

      Delete
  6. I loved this book! So very good. I hope you enjoy it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The intro really grabs your attention. Sounds like a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm excited to read this one. Hope you enjoy it! Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds really intriguing! Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a gorgeous cover! This weekend I've been reading a complimentary early copy of Where Dreams Reside by Heidi Chiavaroli. The first line is: I pressed the gas pedal harder as I passed the quaint sign that welcomed travelers to my hometown of Camden, Maine. ~ Have a great rest of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danielle, I have not read anything by her (that I am aware of) but I do have plans to read her!!

      Delete