Thursday, October 27, 2022

A Gem of Truth

Title: A Gem of Truth

Series: Secrets of the Canyon #2

Author: Kimberley Woodhouse

Genre:Historical Fiction, Christian Fiction, Romance

Publisher: Bethany House

Source: Library

My review:

The beginning of A Gem of Truth immediately grabbed my attention:

No child should ever witness a scene as gruesome as the one in front of her.

Thankfully, we are not privy to all the gruesome details, but Julia is being taken from the scene. I immediately want to know what happens. Unfortunately, it is well past the middle of the story before we get the whole story. 

I enjoyed being back at the Grand Canyon. I also appreciated the natural flow of faith in the story.  Julia was not a Christian nor, did she have much interest in being one. She was polite when Ruth talked to her about Scripture, but in some ways, it felt like Ruth was forcing her faith on Julia, which didn't happen in the first book. The rest of the time it was natural.

While I liked the story, I did not enjoy it near as much as the first book. I felt like the middle dragged and thought about giving up several times. However, it picked back up toward the end.I don't feel like the story is as cohesive as the first. A lot going on, but it doesn't meld well together.

While Ruth has more coverage in this story, I was disappointed that this was not her story. However, the third book is hers, and I can't wait to learn more about her. 

★★★/5

Synopsis (Goodreads): 

Julia Schultz has a reputation for being a storyteller--or as others see it, a liar. But with a dark and painful past, stories were all that kept her company and made her interesting to others. Longing for a fresh start and a second chance to earn real trust, Julia takes a job as a Harvey Girl at the El Tovar hotel, where she's challenged to be her true self.

Learning the trade of a master jeweler is hard work, but Christopher Miller takes pride in running his family's small shop and earning the respect of the people around him. But when he discovers that he has six weeks to buy his shop from his landlord before it is sold, he must find a way to save his grandfather's legacy.

United by the discovery of a legendary treasure, Chris and Julia find hope in each other. But when Julia's past catches up with her, doubt creeps into Chris's heart. Can he really trust her and her stories?

4 comments:

  1. It's too bad this one wasn't quite as good as you hoped. Second books in a series are sometimes like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, I am noticing it more and more, and usually the third book is really good!

      Delete
  2. I love the setting! I can't imagine exploring the canyon in the clothes they wore back then. It looks hot and uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, true, I did not really think about that, LOL!

      Delete