Friday, November 4, 2022

The Lost Melody

Title: The Lost Melody

Author: Joanna Davidson Politano

Genre: Historical Fiction, Christian Fiction, Victorian, Romance

Publisher: Revell

Source: Revell

My review:

The Lost Melody is the second book I have read by Joanna Davidson Politano, and I enjoyed it more than the first one. Unfortunately, this is another book I will not be able to do justice to with my review, but I will give it my best shot.

First, this book has the creepy/slightly gothic vibes I get from Jaime Jo Wright's books. I love that!

Second, there are so many plot twists you start to wonder if you will ever know what truly happened and how Vivienne finds herself in the situation she ends up in.

Music is the heart and soul of this book. It is deep, heart-wrenching, lovely, haunting, soul-stirring, and so beautifully done. The Lost Melody is a story that could have been dark and heavy but is infused with light and hope. I wanted to savor it, but at the same time, I was dying to know what happened next. It is a very quick read. 

Thank you to Revell for the opportunity to read this book. I was not required to provide a positive review. All thoughts and opinions are my own. 

★★★★/5

Synopsis (Goodreads): 

When concert pianist Vivienne Mourdant's father dies, he leaves to her the care of an adult ward she knew nothing about. The woman is supposedly a patient at Hurstwell Asylum. The woman's portrait is shockingly familiar to Vivienne, so when the asylum claims she was never a patient there, Vivienne is compelled to discover what happened to the figure she remembers from childhood dreams.

The longer she lingers in the deep shadows and forgotten towers at Hurstwell, the fuzzier the line between sanity and madness becomes. She hears music no one else does, receives strange missives with rose petals between the pages, and untangles far more than is safe for her to know.

But can she uncover the truth about the mysterious woman she seeks? And is there anyone at Hurstwell she can trust with her suspicions?

Fan-favorite Joanna Davidson Politano casts a delightful spell with this lyrical look into the nature of women's independence and artistic expression during the Victorian era--and now.

6 comments:

  1. This does sound intriguing: a mystery, an asylum, hearing music, past dreams from childhood...I definitely want to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like a book with gothic vibes, and I'm also interested in asylums. Terrific review, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Creepy/slightly gothic vibes? Yes, please! I already wanted to read this one, but your review has me even more excited for it. :D

    ReplyDelete