Friday, November 4, 2022

First Line Friday #70-On The Cliffs of Foxglove Manor

Welcome back to First Line Friday hosted by Carrie at Reading is My SuperPower!! I am also linking up with Gilion on Rose City Reader for Book Beginnings. This is where you share the beginning of the book that you are reading. To join in the fun grab the book you are reading and leave a comment with the first line (or your link). This week I am reading On the Cliffs of Foxglove Manor by Jaime Jo Wright. 

 He had ruined death for her, and the hope of it.

Book Beginnings:

Foxglove Manor

April 1885

He had ruined death for her, and the hope of it. Thwarted death on all sides, until the possibility of escape was removed entirely, and she was left with breath, body, and the plaguing memories of many yesterdays. Memories she would never allow to rise to the surface again. Like a shipwreck beneath the brutal waves of the expanse of cold lake, so were the abuses she had endured.

Synopsis (Goodreads):

1885.
Adria Fontaine has been sent to recover goods her father pirated on the Great Lakes during the war. But when she arrives at Foxglove Manor--a stone house on a cliff overlooking Lake Superior--Adria senses wickedness hovering over the property. The mistress of Foxglove is an eccentric and seemingly cruel old woman who has filled her house with dangerous secrets, ones that may cost Adria her life.

Present day.
Kailey Gibson is a new nurse's aide at a senior home in a renovated old stone manor. Kidnapped as a child, she has nothing but locked-up memories of secrets and death, overshadowed by the chilling promise from her abductors that they would return. When the residents of Foxglove start sharing stories of whispers in the night, hidden treasure, and a love willing to kill, it becomes clear this home is far from a haven. She'll have to risk it all to banish the past's demons, including her own.

Your turn! Grab the current book you are reading and post the first line (or your link) in the comments! Then, click on the icons below and join the fun there too!

 

21 comments:

  1. Oe Oe Oe Oe!!! I REALLY REALLY want to read this one! It is already added to my TBR. This reminds me of Jamaica Inn and I just know I'm going to love it. Keep us posted!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a haunting and beautiful beginning. Pirates also!? I might have to read this.

    My current read is The Maid by Nita Prose. "I am well aware that my name is ridiculous."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kami, no sign of pirates, LOL, sorry to burst your bubble. I have heard good things about the Maid, I hope you enjoy it. Have a good weekend!

      Delete
    2. I retract my statement, pirates are mentioned ;)

      Delete
  3. Jaime is a fantastic writer! Loved it.

    My first line is from an author that has become a favorite of mine: C.C. Warrens.
    Cross the Line, A Holly Novel :
    Flush against the wall, I peered around the corner and up the staircase at the hallway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, I LOVED Cross the Line, and I love C. C.'s books, they are FABULOUS!

      Delete
  4. Both those timelines sounds very compelling. I hope you enjoy this one, Cindy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm currently finishing up The Lost Melody by Joanna Davidson Politano. It's good!
    "They put me in with the long-stay patients for bath night, on account of the cooking oil encounter."
    I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That beginning has sucked me right in! Gotta read this one. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I love that :) You're welcome! I hope you enjoy it when you get to it!!!

      Delete
  7. I really enjoyed this one. Hope you love it! Have a wonderful weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley, it is interesting, I am not sure what I think of it yet, LOL.

      Delete
  8. I love Jaime Jo Wright, but I haven’t read this one yet! I will have to remedy that soon :) Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a good read! I just finished Where the Blue Sky Begins by Katie Powner. The first line is: "Eric Larson had never seen such a sorry excuse for a town." Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danielle, I am looking forward to reading that one soon!

      Delete