Monday, January 16, 2023

Dead End

Title: Dead End    

Series: Kaely Quinn Profiler #3

Author: Nancy Mehl

Genre: Suspense, Christian Fiction

Publisher: Bethany House

Source: Library

My review:

Even though it has been a while since I read the first two books in the Kaely Quinn Profiler series, I was  able to dive right into Dead End. I highly recommend reading this series by Nancy Mehl in order. 

Kaely's emotions were all over the place in this story. It made it harder to connect with her or sympathize with her struggles. Her refusal to get help because she is a Christian, and would deal with things later, came off as immature and stubborn. How can you be good at your job if you refuse to care for yourself? 

Noah was a bit all over the place too. His responses were more realistic at times than Kaely's. Both characters experienced growth in this book, and it was good to see how far they had come from the first book.

I thought I had the serial killer figured out, then doubted myself. Then I thought it was someone else, but it wasn't. I didn't figure out the killer, and by the time it was revealed, I was just frustrated with Kaely. 

This psychological thriller does come to a satisfying conclusion. I am glad I read this one, even though it wasn't my favorite.

★★★⋆/5

Synopsis (Goodreads):

 When a body is discovered in a field in Iowa, the police uncover fourteen additional corpses ranging from 20 years old to recent. The remains point to a serial killer with an MO the authorities have seen before--Ed Oliphant, a man who has been in prison for over 20 years . . . and is Special Agent Kaely Quinn's father. After several failed interview attempts to discover if Ed has been training someone to be a copycat killer, the police turn to Kaely in St. Louis.

Kaely promised herself she would never step foot in her hometown or set eyes on her father again. She's always refused to confront her past, but if she wants to prevent any more deaths, she must come face-to-face with the man she's hated for years.
As more bodies are discovered, Kaely races against time and her own personal turmoil to uncover the killer. Will this most personal case yet cost Kaely her identity and perhaps even her life?

 

4 comments:

  1. It's hard to love a book when you get frustrated with the main character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, especially when she is out of character, LOL! She did have a lot going on though!

      Delete
  2. Kaely would frustrate me too. Nice review, Cindy

    ReplyDelete