Sunday, January 15, 2023

The Cairo Curse

Title: The Cairo Curse

Series:Frederick & Grace Mystery #2

Author: Pepper Basham

Genre: Historical Fiction, Christian Romance, Mystery,

Publisher: Barbour

Source: Barbour & Net Galley

My review:

To truly appreciate Grace and Frederick Astley, you should read The Mistletoe Countess before reading The Cairo Curse by Pepper Basham.

I love Grace and Frederick so much that I re-read The Mistletoe Countess (I am not a re-reader) before reading this one. I am glad I did because it was fun to pick up where The Mistletoe Countess left off. I was excited to see what their adventures in Cairo, Egypt, would entail.

However, I struggled with a good portion of the story. There were quite a few spots where it was too much description for me, bogging the story down. I also felt the story moved slowly, then all of a sudden, everything happened at once. 

The humor and light moments kept me reading. We get typical Grace moments that I adored (hello camel scene). I also really enjoyed getting to know Elliot more. I hope his story continues in the next book because we did not get a good resolution for him!

While this is not my favorite Basham book, I will always be a fan, and I can't wait to read the third book in the series (I am totally assuming there will be one!).

Thank you to Net Galley and Barbour Publishing for the opportunity to read this book. I was not required to provide a positive review. All thoughts and opinions are entirely my own.

★★★/5


Synopsis (Goodreads):

Clue meets Indiana Jones with a fiction-loving twist only Grace Percy can provide.
 
Newlyweds Lord and Lady Astley have already experienced their fair-share of suspense, but when a honeymoon trip takes a detour to the mystical land of Egypt, not even Grace with her fiction-loving mind is prepared for the dangers in store. From an assortment of untrustworthy adventure-seekers to a newly discovered tomb with a murderous secret, Frederick and Grace must lean on each other to navigate their dangerous surroundings. As the suspects mount in an antiquities’ heist of ancient proportions, will Frederick and Grace’s attempts to solve the mystery lead to another death among the sands?
 
The Cairo’s Curse is a delightful sequel to The Mistletoe Countess by Pepper Basham in the Freddie and Grace Mystery series.

6 comments:

  1. I adored The Mistletoe Countess! It's so fun that Basham's continuing their story. Even if this one bogs down a bit, I can't resist checking it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, I agree, it is totally worth the read!!

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry this one didn't quite meet your expectations. Pacing is always an issue with me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, it was surprising, but I also realize it's not an issue everyone has.

      Delete
  3. Is The Mistletoe Countess a Christmas book? I'm thinking about hosting a Christmas in July reading challenge, and if so, it sounds like that would be a great book for me to read for that. - Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, it has scenes from around Christmas time, but can be read (and enjoyed!) any time of the year. It would be perfect for a Christmas in July reading challenge!

      Delete