Thursday, January 26, 2023

Eloise and the Grump Next Door-Audio

Title: Eloise and the Grump Next Door (AUDIO REVIEW)

Series: Oakley Island #1

Author: Emma St. Clair and Jenny Proctor

Narrators: Rock Engle and Stephanie Rose

Genre: RomCom, fiction, Contemporary Romance

Publisher: Audible

Source: Author Provided

My review:

I read Eloise and the Grump Next Door, and you can see that review here. This review is for the audio version of Eloise and the Grump Next Door.

I enjoyed this book when I physically read it, but I didn't love it. Listening to the audio version, I loved the story and couldn't get enough of it. All the things that annoyed me when I read it did not bother me when I listened to it (except Jake's handling of a certain situation, which still comes across as controlling). I love hearing the voices of the male and female narrators; it really enhances the story.

There are so many things to love about this book: a pelican scene (St. Clair is becoming known for her animal scenes!!), love letters, wardrobe malfunction, a cute wingman, a small island, forced proximity, a talking parrot, and more. I highly recommend listening to Eloise and the Grump next door as your next great escape.

Thank you to the authors for the opportunity to listen to this book. I was not required to provide a review. All thoughts and opinions are my own. 

★★★★★/5

Synopsis (Goodreads): 

I’m not sure which is worse--the lawyer handling my grandmother’s estate or the attack pelican living on the screened-in porch. Just kidding--I’ll take the pelican any day.

After graduation, I thought I’d be off to grad school, doing research on my favorite poet. Instead, I’m renovating my late grandmother’s home and posting about the process on Instagram. Talk about a detour …

But here I am. Turning Gran’s beach house into a bed and breakfast--a process that would be a lot easier if I didn’t have to deal with the grumpy lawyer living next door. It doesn’t help that the night Jake and I met, I got a little tipsy, and he had to carry me back to my hotel.

But the longer I stay on Oakley Island, the more I feel a connection to my childhood and to my grandmother. This isn’t the life I dreamed of, but dreams can change. Especially when new dreams include a future with Jake. On the outside, he might be pricklier than a puffer fish, but I catch glimpses of a delicious, cinnamon roll center.

Did I mention the tattoos he hides underneath those crisp button-down shirts? Yowza.

When I’m suddenly presented with the academic opportunity of my dreams (former dreams?), my picturesque life on Oakley starts to unravel.

A part of me wants to stay. If only a certain tattooed grump didn’t seem so determined to send me away …

Eloise and The Grump Next Door is a grumpy sunshine, closed door romantic comedy. The Oakley Island Romcom series follows three very different sisters as they renovate the house they inherited and find love on the island along the way. Each book will have sizzling chemistry but no spice.

4 comments:

  1. That's so interesting that listening to the story made you enjoy the book even more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, it was surprising for me for sure :)

      Delete
  2. Good to know you loved this one! I'll have to listen to the audiobook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy, I highly recommend it! The second book of the series just released in paperback today and the ebook releases soon!! Exciting stuff!

      Delete