Friday, January 6, 2023

First Line Friday #75 - Belle

Welcome back to First Line Friday hosted by Carrie at Reading is My SuperPower!!  I am also linking up with Gilion on Rose City Reader for Book Beginnings. This is where you share the beginning of the book that you are reading. To join in the fun grab the book you are reading and leave a comment with the first line (or your link). This week I am reading Belle An Amish Retelling of Beauty and the Beast by Sarah Price. 

Sunflowers always made Belle happy.

Book Beginnings:

Sunflowers always made Belle happy. Very happy. Perhaps it was the way their large, oversized heads seemed to follow the sun. Or perhaps it was how they looked like bright, sunny yellow faces, smiling at her. Or maybe it was just because she favored the color yellow. Regardless of the reason, whenever she walked to town, Belle always paused to look at the small patch of tall, happy sunflowers that greeted her from the Troyers' front garden. Today, with the sun shining overhead and the sky as clear as the day was long, would be no different.

Synopsis (Goodreads):

In author Sarah Price's fresh and inspirational retelling of a beloved classic, a dutiful young Amish woman agrees to marry a notorious recluse for her family's sake--but the consequences are more than either bargained for . . .

To most townsfolk, he's known simply as The Beast. Annabelle Beiler has little interest in gossip, but she's heard about Adam Herschberger's scars and his gruff, solitary ways. Though he sounds like a character from one of Belle's treasured books, the man is real and, it turns out, just as unreasonable as the rumors claim. When a buggy accident wipes out the last of her daed's money, forcing him to sell their farm, Adam buys it. Then he offers Belle a deal--marry him, and her family can keep their home.

Everyone is shocked by Belle's decision, but she's determined to be a good fraa, cleaning Adam's rundown house and tending the overgrown garden. Breaking through her new husband's icy reserve will be another matter. Belle's courage and strength are abundant, but it will take true faith to guide Adam back to the heart of his Amish community--and to the loving marriage they both deserve.

Your turn! Grab the current book you are reading and post the first line (or your link) in the comments! Then, click on the icons below and join the fun there too!

 

26 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Deb, there's just something about them, isn't there?!

      Delete
  2. Aww, sunflowers are very happy. Sounds like a cozy read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kami, I finished it a little bit ago (ignoring the house work that needed done, LOL), it was good!

      Delete
  3. My first line comes from the first chapter of The Mark of Grace by KimberleyWoodhouse:
    Monday, May 3, 1909 El Tovar Hotel, Grand Canyon
    Spoons clattered against pots. Steam sputtered out from under lids. The scent of fresh-baked bread and brewing coffee filled the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love when the scent of coffee fills the air! I am looking forward to getting my hands on this one, Paula!

      Delete
  4. Happy Friday!
    I am finishing up The Rose and the Thistle by Laura Frantz, so I will share a line from there.
    "Davie is in the tower."
    I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beauty and the Beast is probably my favorite fairy tale and I love good retellings - I will definitely take a look for this one (perhaps at the library?). Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kym, yes, it is in the system and I turned it back in today, so you should be able to get it!!

      Delete
  6. I read this book last year and thought it was a cute retelling of a favorite fairy tale.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the sound of this one. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, yay! I hope you enjoy it when you get a chance to read it.

      Delete
  8. I love sunflowers too. This sounds good! I hope you enjoy it, Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do love good Amish fiction, and how interesting that Beauty and the Beast is retold in that genre! I'm going to have to read it. Thanks for sharing it, Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, awesome! I hope you enjoy it when you get a chance to read it!

      Delete
  10. ooo I love sunflowers, they're one of my favourite flowers! I'm quite interested in Amish fiction too. I hope it's a good read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that beginning. Sunflowers always make me happy. Hope you have a great weekend, Cindy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Bell! They make me happy, too. :) I'm currently reading The sisters of Sea View by Julie Klassen. The first line is: "April 1819. Sarah Summers carefully lifted the family heirloom, a warm mantle of nostalgia settling over her." Hope you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danielle, that is one I look forward to reading!

      Delete
  13. The cover is so bright and cheerful, it makes me so happy.

    ReplyDelete