Thursday, January 5, 2023

All the Lost Places

Title: All the Lost Places

Author: Amanda Dykes

Genre: Christian Fiction

Publisher: Bethany House

Source: Bethany House

My review:

The cover of All the Lost Places is gorgeous, as I imagine Venice to be. 

Amanda Dykes slowly builds the scene for All the Lost Places. Her attention to detail and ability to paint the scene is remarkable. She includes a fair amount of history as she weaves the story.

I did not connect to the characters, and I had a hard time following the two stories, especially once Daniel starts translating. It was a huge disconnect for me, not a problem I typically have with dual timelines. 

All the Lost Places takes the reader on a journey of self-discovery. It is a thought-provoking story of exploration, second chances, and redemption.

Thank you to Bethany House for the opportunity to read this book. I was not required to provide a positive review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Synopsis (Goodreads):

 Discovered floating in a basket along the canals of Venice, Sebastien Trovato wrestles with questions of his origins. Decades later, on an assignment to translate a rare book, Daniel Goodman finds himself embroiled in a web of secrets carefully kept within the ancient city and in the mystery of the man whose story the book does not finish: Sebastien.

8 comments:

  1. Yes, that cover is gorgeous! Love it! Sorry you couldn't connect to the characters. I always struggle with the story if that happens to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one! The descriptions of Venice and the history was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, I don't know if I just wasn't in the right head space but I could not quite get the story. I do agree that the descriptions of Venice are nice.

      Delete
  3. I do love stories set in Venice, but I like to be able to connect to the characters, too. I'm a little on the fence with this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, it has mostly 5 star reviews, so I am very much a minority on my opinion! If it sounds good from the description to you, I would say give it a try.

      Delete
  4. That cover is gorgeous! This is on my TBR. Too bad you didn't connect with the characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gretchen, I hope you enjoy it when you get to it!!

      Delete