Thursday, February 9, 2023

Everything is Just Beginning

Title: Everything is Just Beginning

Author: Erin Bartels

Genre: Historical Fiction, Christian Fiction, Contemporary Fiction

Publisher: Revell

Source: Revell

My review:

Everything Is Just Beginning is a complex and complicated story of family, unmet expectations, music, and found family.

I did not connect to Michael at all. He is immature, selfish, and grumbles and complains a lot. It's like he expects things to be handed to him. Isn't that why he went to Dusty's party in the first place?

Natalie (Pinky) is hard to get to know, even though she is one of the main characters. Michael's character overshadows hers. I think the story would have been better if we had seen more of her.

Michael has great character growth, especially toward the end of the story. I would have liked to have seen more of his family relationships resolved. 

I was not engaged in the story. I kept hoping it would get more interesting. It was a nice story; it was just not a great story. Something was missing. I wish I could put my finger on what it was, but I can't quite pinpoint it.

Thank you to Revell for the opportunity to read this book. I was not required to provide a positive review. All thoughts and opinions are entirely my own. 

★★★/5

Synopsis (Goodreads):

An Immersive Story of Music, Struggle, and Starting Over from an Award-Winning Author

Michael Sullivan is a talented lyricist and a decent guitarist, but since he was kicked out of his band (and his apartment), he's not sure he'll ever get a record deal. Living with his loser uncle in a beat-up trailer and working a dead-end job, Michael has little reason to hope for a better future. Until the invitation for a swanky New Year's Eve party shows up in the mailbox. It's for his uncle, with whom he shares his name, but his uncle is going out of town . . .

On the effervescent night of December 31, 1989--as the Berlin Wall is coming down, the Soviet Union is inching toward democracy, and anything seems possible--Michael will cross paths with the accomplished and enigmatic young heir to a fading musical dynasty, forever altering both of their futures.

Award-winning novelist Erin Bartels enchants with this story of two lonely souls who have exactly what the other one needs--if they could simply turn their focus from what is ending to what is just beginning.

6 comments:

  1. I felt the same. Something was missing to bump this up from a 3 rating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarita, glad I wasn't the only one who thought so!!

      Delete
  2. I've seen mixed reviews for this one, Cindy. Nice honest review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy, it's hard to know exactly what to say sometimes.

      Delete
  3. Sorry this one wasn't better. I guess that can't all be great reads. ;D

    ReplyDelete