Thursday, February 9, 2023

6 Degrees of Separation -Feb. 2023 Trust

#6degrees of Separation is hosted by Kate at booksaremyfavouriteandbest on the first Saturday of each month. The gist is that everyone starts with the same book, then finds another book that relates to it somehow, then one that relates to the second, until you’ve got a chain of six additional books. It’s a twist on the theory that every person on earth can somehow be connected to any other person in six or fewer steps, and provides an opportunity to talk about random books we love (or don’t).

 

 

Starting Point: Trust by Hernan Diaz

Trust is set in New York in 1920s. It focuses on a wealthy and influential family. I have not read this book, it is just the starting point. The last Historical Fiction book I read was The Blackout Book Club by Amy Lynn Green.

In The Blackout Book Club, the main character, Avis, takes over the library when her brother goes off to war. In an effort to save the library she starts a book club. The members of the book club start an unlikely friendship. Another book I read that had an unlikely friendship develop was Where the Blue Sky Begins by Katie Powner.

Where the Blue Sky Begins is a powerful novel set in Montana that explores the concept of setting things right before the end comes. Eunice, the main character is seeking forgiveness from those she has wronged. Eunice is spunky and reminds me of Clara from The Extraordinary Deaths of Mrs Kip by Sara Brunsvold.

I loved The Extraordinary Deaths of Mrs. Kip. It is a book that brought out all the feels, which surprised me since it was a debut novel!! Speaking of, I recently read another debut novel where the author wrote like a seasoned writer! 

Dear Henry, Love Edith is Becca Kinzer's debut novel! Dear Henry, Love Edith has everything I love in a book: witty dialogue, quirky characters, small-town, letter communication, laugh-out-loud moments, depth, and vivid details. This book reminded me of Authentically, Izzy by Pepper Basham.

Authentically, Izzy is creative, funny, also has quirky characters and is mainly written in letters. Both characters are basically book nerds, so what's not to love?! Authentically, Izzy was told in dual POV. The last book I read that was told in dual POV and happened to also have a pink cover is Merritt and Her Childhood Crush by Emma St. Clair and Jenny Proctor.

Merritt and Her Childhood Crush is a second-chance romance set on Oakley Island, and I loved it. You can click on any of the book covers to see my review, if you are interested.

There you have it, my #6degrees of separation. I think I did this right, LOL. Ironically enough, all these books have made my favorites list 😀 I have seen this around and have been wanting to try it. What books would be in your chain? I think it's interesting that all start with the same book, but we all go in different directions. See the hosts page for more 6degree posts!

11 comments:

  1. This is a great chain and I can tell you really enjoyed these books. I will look for The Blackout Book Club - I love stories about the homefront. Have you read any of Jennifer Ryan's books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks for stopping by. No, I have not read any books of Jennifer Ryan's, but will look her up. Thanks for the recommendation.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your first chain!
    Sounds awesome to me. The neat thing isthat you can do your chain the way you want - you have seen the way I do it, with key words.
    The Blackout Book Club sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement! I did like the way you did your chain. I really enjoyed The Blackout Book club.

      Delete
  3. You had very logical steps to each book. I've wanted to do this for a while, but still haven't tried it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, I understand. I happened to have a day where I didn't have a post and popped it in there, LOL. Maybe next month?!

      Delete
  4. This is a fantastic chain, Cindy, especially considering it is your first time participating. You are a natural. I hope you enjoyed it as much as we did and we will see more next month.

    Thanks for visiting my Six Degrees of Separation which took me from Trust to Book Love by Debbie Tung.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marianne, I made a note of next month's topic, so hopefully I will remember, LOL!

      Delete
    2. Aaaah, I'm sure you will, once you've started, you can't stop. LOL

      Delete
    3. Marianne, time will tell, LOL.

      Delete