Monday, February 20, 2023

Of Literature & Lattes

Title: Of Literature & Lattes

Series: Winsome #2

Author: Katherine Reay

Genre: Books about Books, Fiction, Contemporary Romance, Christian Fiction,

Publisher: Thomas Nelson

Source: Library

My review:

Of Literature & Lattes is the second book in the Winsome series by Katerine Reay. I should have reread the first book, The Printed Letter Bookshop. It was hard keeping the characters straight, especially at the beginning of the book.

Of Literature & Lattes has a slow start. I thought several times of quitting it, but there were several things happening that kept me somewhat invested. It has themes of forgiveness, second chances, and finding your place, making it a relatable story.

One thing I did not like was you were reading from one person's perspective, then they would encounter another person, and that person's perspective was the next paragraph. I found that annoying and hard to follow. 

Most things in the story wrap up, a few threads dangle, and the ending is left open so there could be another story.

★★★/5

Synopsis (Goodreads):

 Katherine Reay returns to the cozy and delightful town of Winsome where two people discover the grace of letting go and the joy found in unexpected change.

After fleeing her hometown three years earlier, Alyssa Harrison never planned to return. Then the Silicon Valley start-up she worked for collapsed and turned her world upside down. She is broke, under FBI investigation, and without a place to go. Having exhausted every option, she comes home to Winsome, Illinois, to regroup then move on as quickly as possible. Yet, as friends and family welcome her back, Alyssa begins to see a place for herself in this small Midwestern community.

Jeremy Mitchell moved from Seattle to Winsome to be near his daughter and to open the coffee shop he’s been dreaming of for years. Problem is, the business is bleeding money—and he’s not quite sure why. When he meets Alyssa, he senses an immediate connection, but what he needs most is someone to help him save his floundering business. After asking for her help, he wonders if something might grow between them—but forces beyond their control soon complicate their already complex lives, and the future they both hoped for is not at all what they anticipated.

With the help of Winsome’s small-town charm and quirky residents, Alyssa and Jeremy discover the beauty and romance of second chances.

14 comments:

  1. I still have this series on my TBR - might go audiobook route, wonder if it will be difficult to follow as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarita, not sure...maybe look and see if any audio reviews mention it being hard to follow.

      Delete
  2. That sudden switch in perspective would be hard to follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, it was at times for me. Especially at the beginning.

      Delete
  3. sorry this was not terrific, the cover is so cute and promising!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like bookish books, and this series looks like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have mixed reviews about this one. I was wondering if I should reread The Printed Letter Bookshop before reading this one. Now I know I should!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gretchen, if you have the time, I totally would! I think it would help.

      Delete
  6. (I scrolled down too far and entered my comment in your reviewer contact form by mistake! 😂) Anyway, I am glad to hear about this book. Very interesting idea. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I would find the POV switch off distracting too! Still having loved several of Katherine's other novels, I'm sure I'll give this one a chance sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rissi, yes, and I have 3 others on my physical bookshelves, I will be reading more from her as well :)

      Delete