Sunday, March 26, 2023

Echoes Among the Stones

Title: Echoes Among the Stones

Genre: Historical Fiction, Dual-time, Suspense, Christian Fiction

Publisher: Bethany House

Source: Own

Challenges: 23 in '23, Read Your Bookshelf Challenge

My review:

I think of Jaime Jo Wright as one of my favorite authors, and buy her books when I come across them but have not read very many 😂. I am, however, working on remedying that!

Echoes Among the Stones has been on my shelf for quite a while, and now it will remain in my heart as I linger on it. Spoiler alert, this is another book that I will not be able to adequately review, but I will give it my best shot.

This one captivated me from the beginning. The story alternates between Imogene's perspective and her granddaughter, Aggie (Agnes). It starts with Imogene discovering her sister's body. If that doesn't suck you right in, I don't know what will!!

I had hints about who the murderer was and wondered what I was missing. I was sure all the clues were there. However, I did NOT see it coming. The story flows smoothly, despite it being dual-time and alternating perspectives. Aggie and Mumsie (Imogene) have so much in common. It is interesting to see how they interact and how grief affects their lives and relationships. There are so many layers to this novel and I was here for it.

There is very little romance in this book so if that is what you are after, look elsewhere. However, if you are looking for a captivating mystery, I encourage you to experience this one for yourself. It will be staying on my keeper shelf!

★★★★★/5

Challenges:


Synopsis (Goodreads): 

After Aggie Dunkirk's career is unceremoniously ended by her own mistakes, she finds herself traveling to Wisconsin, where her grandmother, Mumsie, lives alone in her vintage, though very outdated, home. Aggie didn't plan for how eccentric Mumsie has become, obsessing over an old, unsolved crime scene—even going so far as to re-create it in a dollhouse.

Mystery seems to follow Aggie when she finds work as a secretary helping to restore the flooded historical part of the town's cemetery. Forced to work with a puzzling yet attractive archaeologist, she exhumes the past's secrets and unwittingly uncovers a crime that some will go to any length to keep hidden—even if that means silencing Aggie.

In 1946, Imogene Grayson works in a beauty salon but has her sights set on Hollywood. But coming home to discover her younger sister's body in the attic changes everything. Unfamiliar with the burgeoning world of forensic science and, as a woman, not particularly welcomed into the investigation, Imogene is nonetheless determined to stay involved. As her sister's case grows cold, Imogene vows to find justice . . . no matter the cost.

8 comments:

  1. Jaime Jo Wright is an author I've been meaning to try for quite awhile. She has so many books that look so good. Do you have a favorite?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, of the ones I have read, this one, and The House on Foster Hill.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a great book! I love books involving several generations of the same family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete