Friday, April 21, 2023

First Line Friday #88-East of Evil

Happy Friday, my bookish friends! First Line Friday is hosted by Carrie at Reading is My SuperPower!!  I am also linking up with Gilion on Rose City Reader for Book Beginnings. This is where you share the beginning of the book that you are reading. This week I am reading East of Evil by by Joni M. Fisher.

Nefi's life-changing day started ordinary and turned peculiar on the way to morning classes. 

Book Beginnings:

Monday, April 19, 2010

Nefi's life-changing day started ordinary and turned peculiar on the way to morning classes. 

A tingle ran up her neck. The sensation heightened her senses, akin to hearing a distant scream. While other Harvard students hunched over cell phones, Nefi scanned the shop-lined street at the edge of campus. On a van's rear window, she spotted the reflection of a broad-shouldered man half a block behind who was taking awkwardly long strides. Unlike other students trudging to campus, this man had no backpack straps on his shoulders. With his face shadowed by a ball cap, he kept his hands in his jacket pockets.

Synopsis (Goodreads):

A colossal fortune. A secret reaper. A young woman whose drive for due process makes her the target of dangerous people…

Nefi Jenkins dreams of becoming an FBI agent. After outing her parents’ heartless killer, the Harvard grad focuses on getting into a stellar criminal justice master’s degree program. But her career goals take a back seat when she inherits a ten-million-dollar trust from her late parents…with a hefty chunk gone.

Seeking the help of a forensic accountant, Nefi discovers a cunning thief has been stealing from her inheritance. And with her legacy at stake, the hidden enemy’s scheme to swipe her cash could turn deadly.

Can Nefi restore her parent’s wealth before her investigation turns fatal?

East of Evil is the fourth book in the page-turning conclusion of the Compass Crimes suspense series.

Your turn! Grab the current book you are reading and post the first line (or your link) in the comments! Then, click on the icons below and join the fun there too!

 

16 comments:

  1. That sounds suspenseful!

    My first line today is from Dawn’s Untrodden Green by Carolyn Miller:
    Wooler Northumberland 1812
    Stapleton Court of Wooler had, in its day, oft been described as a monument to quiet pretention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this series before--and now I want to know more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am wishing I had started at the beginning of the series!

      Delete
  3. I think you mistyped this sentence. Is the second "black" supposed to be "block"?

    On a van's rear window, she spotted the reflection of a broad-shouldered man half a black behind who was taking awkwardly long strides.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a great suspense series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, I really do wish I had started at the beginning. Maybe someday I will go back and read the first three.

      Delete
  5. I'm really intrigued by this one. It sounds super suspenseful. Hope you enjoy it! Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely opening line. I think I might like this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, it is interesting, different from a lot of the other stuff out there.

      Delete
    2. Sarah, if you do, let me know what you think :)

      Delete
  7. I'm currently reading Tunnel Creek Ambush by Kerry Johnson and the first line is: "Kinsley Miller crept toward Whisper Mountain Tunnel, a prickling sensation climbing the back of her neck." I hope you have a good rest of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danielle, I have not heard of that one. I hope you love it!

      Delete