Friday, May 5, 2023

First Line Friday #90-Sprinkled with Sabotage

Happy Friday, my bookish friends! First Line Friday is hosted by Carrie at Reading is My SuperPower!!  I am also linking up with Gilion on Rose City Reader for Book Beginnings. This is where you share the beginning of the book that you are reading. This week I am reading Sprinkled with Sabotage by by Allison Pearl.

I trust him with my life. Just not with my heart.

Book Beginnings:

I trust him with my life. Just not with my heart.

Elizabeth Bennett remembered using those words to describe her relationship with Koby Knightly-if one could even call it that. But was that trust enough of a justification to dial her ex-boyfriends number? She looked back over shoulder at the dark, snow-lined sidewalk. Seconds prior, she'd been certain she heard feet chasing her, but now, there was nothing. Only the sound of her high heels clicking on the uneven concrete as she hurried home from dinner. Why hadn't she called a cab? Or even hopped on a bus?

Synopsis (Goodreads):

Lizzy Bennet loves life as a lawyer in the city. And not just because of the miles it puts between her and her ex. However, when she’s attacked on the street just hours after learning her identity was stolen, she tries to call home for help and ends up with the last person she expects: the very same high school boyfriend who broke her heart. He says he’s there to help, but she’s not so sure, and now, all the endless questions and regrets are clouding her judgment and preventing her from seeing the dangerous saboteur closing in.

Small-town auto mechanic, Koby Knightly, is looking forward to seeing a car show in the city. But when an unexpected call from his old girlfriend disconnects suddenly, he rushes to her aid. Throwing his plans out the window, Koby makes it his mission to protect her and discover the identity of the person trying to frame her. Will he also be able to figure out what went wrong between them back in high school or will a killer get to her first?

Your turn! Grab the current book you are reading and post the first line (or your link) in the comments! Then, click on the icons below and join the fun there too!

 

24 comments:

  1. great first line, and looks like a good story! Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So this is a Pride and Prejudice remake or just a Jane Austen remake? The names made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, is it bad that I hadn't realized that? I don't remember Pride and Prejudice.

      Delete
  3. Great beginning! Makes me want to keep reading. Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Cindy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well this one sounds super fun! And I love that first line. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great first line and looks like a really good book. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm currently reading Murmur in the Mud Caves by Kathleen Denly. It's a pretty good read!
    "Sweat soaked Biddie's bodice and dripped down her face as she worked with Lucy and Virginia to fill their wheelbarrow with clay from the banks of the narrow creek bed."
    I hope you have an excellent weekend! 😀❤️📚

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is definitely a great beginning, Cindy. I hope the rest of it is just as good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. April 18, 1861 Washington D. C.
    Most days, I could pretend that my life was normal.
    From In This Moment by Gabrielle Meyer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, hearing a lot of great things about this one, hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  9. Wow, this sounds really good. That beginning pulls the reader right in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm reading Loving the Rancher's Children by Mindy Obenhaus and the first line is: "Alli Krenek hadn't felt this well rested in ages." Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete